Lyrics that don't ring true

There’s that Katy Perry song The One That Got Away where she sings “We make out in your Mustang to Radiohead” and it’s like, no, I don’t believe you’ve ever done that, what the hell Radiohead song would anyone make out in a Mustang to?

Also, that Ed Sheeran Summer of 69 rip off where he talks about “driving at 90 down those country lanes, singing to Tiny Dancer” when you know that really he’s adhering to the speed limit and singing the JCB song.

Anyone got any more?

10 Likes

“It’s all I ever see around here. Some empty envelopes from some other town”

7 Likes

At the start of You’re Beautiful by James Blunt (sorry for getting it in your head), he says “but I have a plan.”

This plan is never referenced again.

5 Likes

Also, recurring lyrical pet peeve from American Pie:

“Drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry.”

Levies are supposed to be dry.

“In your snatch fits pleasure, broom-shaped pleasure”…

Can confirm this is true. I winched her in the back of a mustang, albeit hired. FYI the song was Talk Show Host and she tasted like strawberries. Yeah, think of that. Good kisser so she is. Would winch again.

4 Likes

Thou Shalt Always Kill by Scroobius Pip:

“Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Dekker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barrett in vain…Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry.”

“Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.”

1 Like

That’s an appalling song on so many levels, and at least two songs on that debut album demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of mental health.

Scroobius Pip can fuck off and stay off.

7 Likes

people bang to radiohead

Everybody gon’ respect the shooter
But the one in front of the gun lives forever

Erm…

The whole thing. Katy Perry making out in a Mustang is plausible. That this scene would be soundtracked by pull/pulk revolving doors or something is just ludicrous

I always assumed his plan was just to say “you’re beautiful” over and over. In fairness, it seems to have worked out for him.

4 Likes

It goes Halle Berry or hallelujah. You can pick one path or the other. If you go gang banging, you’ll get respect but you won’t get into heaven like the man who chooses to live his life right.

I know, man

1 Like

Aight! Did think it was an obvious one but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not convinced the the splintered larynx would definitely have access after the teased amputation. I feel Cedric could have communicated that a bit more clearly if he’d tried.

1 Like

?

Even Food Don’t Taste That Good!

Yes it fucking does

1 Like

Levies are supposed to be dry! If a levy isn’t dry, it’s not doing its job properly. Yet the use of the word “but” in that line (“but the levy was dry”) suggests that he’s surprised to find that the levy wasn’t wet. So, what? He wanted there to be a flood?

do we both definitely know what the words levy and dry are supposed to mean in this context?