Magazines of your youth [pointless nostalgia thread]

I used to buy Total Guitar magazine despite it being mostly interviews with Slash and Steve Vai it was pretty useful for gear and tabs before I had steady internet

Look at that design, jesus.

I also got the official playstation magazine when I was even younger than that, mainly for the demos but a bit of the reviews

The demos sometimes had those net yaroze (sp?) games made by guys in their bedrooms that were fucking WEIRD but GREAT

Anyway, what did you buy when paper media was semi-relevant

6 Likes

Used to have the following subscriptions (in chronological order):

Match
Melody Maker
NME
Q
Four Four Two
WSC

but that was a long time ago.

Was obsessed with PC Zone in the Charlie Brooker years. Probably one of those things that really shaped my sense of humour tbh.

4 Likes

Used to fkn love Net Yaroze

And Tombi

3 Likes

Shoot for a while but wasn’t that into football tbh.

Then some video game ones - C&VG, something else I can’t remember.

Music stuff when I got a bit older - NME and/or MM. Monthly things like Q, Sounds more on an occasional if I had a coach journey or something basis. Same with the odd film thing like Sight&Sound.

Not a massive magazines person tbh.

The Back Page podcast has revealed to me just how instrumental games magazines were to my sense of humour growing up

1 Like

Sky magazine

My sister was the one that bought it - had interviews with glamourous celebs, bit of sex, stories about satanism and scary true crime and whatnot

Great mag

Pre/Early Teens was these 2 :

mizzmag SPICE_GIRLS_TOP+OF+THE+POPS+-+SEPTEMBER+1997-380900

Then mid teens I graduated to :

kerrangmag

11 Likes

In one of his column compilation book he included the piece from PC Zone where they brought him back and made him review euro truck simulator 2008 or something. Think it just ended with ‘‘fuck off’’.

2 Likes

At school it was NME, MM, Sky, Select, The Face. Then at university it was NME, The Wire, Dazed, I-D, Careless Talk Cost Lives, Jockey Slut and Sleazenation. Used to love a couple of mags on a long train journey.

1 Like

Used to get these Playstation magazines:

essential-playstation
download (16)

I remember Playstation Max was obsessed wit turds for some reason

Shoot Magazine Jan 1996.JPG.opt275x394o0,0s275x394

Always a Shoot lad over Match

Rock Sound around 2007 was absolutely essential. For a mainstream magazine it didnt half give spotlight on lesser known bands alongside the more crowd pleasing fare. The CDs each month were a treasure chest

When I got a SNES I used to get Play magazine

Had really cool manga style artwork

1 Like

Regular weekly/monthly purchases starting from the beginning:

Beano
Match
Official Manchester United
NME
Q
Select
Vox
Kerrang
Loaded
FHM
Alternative Press
FourFourTwo (still buy occasionally)
World Soccer

Right fuckin’ lad

I was never really one for magazines - they cost a lot and were hard to get hold of in the town I lived. I did get the following though

Games:
Amiga Power (94-96)
PC Gamer (98-03)
Edge (03-08)

Music:
Careless Talk Costs Lives (02-03)
Loose Lips Sink Ships (03-04)
Plan B (04-09)

1 Like

Animals of Farthing Wood
3d dinosaur one
Beano
Dandy
Shoot
Match
PlayStation Official
Play
Striker
FHM
Loaded
NME

Think that’s most of them. Used to read my sister’s Smash Hits too but felt shamed for doing so.

1 Like

The Holy Trinity:

Nintendo Offical Magazine:

Gamesmaster:

Empire:

1 Like

Used to live for ‘Discovery’ when I was a (nerdy) child.

3 Likes

Remember me and my mates all subscribing to a magazine about aliens and the paranormal around the time the X Files was massive

We all got a t shirt and a key ring and were absolutely hyped

Might have been called the X factor??

Edit- yes!

Every single issue was: “is NASA hiding aliens in Area 51???!?…….guess we’ll never know!”

4 Likes