Dunkelheit
Jesus’ Tod
Ea, Lord of the Depths
Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Jeg Faller
Det Som En Gang Var

[58 mins]

i have a bit of a fondness for later-era burzum but i can’t fuck with that tracklisting at all

Yep, can’t get on with the ambient ones so much in the later years, but the BM ones are pretty good. Jeg Faller is a particular fave, hence it made the cut. Just got into the BM-era Ulver this month too, which I’m enjoying an awful lot

oh hell yeah, bergtatt is one of my fave BM records. i like kveldssanger as well but that fucking production!

I like it, mine would be very similar. Probably Carin for Guilty Party. Great shout on I’ll Still Destroy You…

Here’s my “I cheated by leaving off Cassandra Gemini” Mars Volta playlist. 8 songs, exactly an hour.

• Roulette Dares
  • Drunkship of Lanterns
  • Cygnus…Vismund Cygnus
  • Metatron
  • Goliath
  • Cavelettas
  • Dyslexicon
  • Vedamalady

Some thoughts:

• I wanted “In Absentia” in Drunkship’s spot, but it just pushed things over an hour. “Empty Vessels Make the Loudest Sounds” and “Eriatarka” could have easily taken this spot too, and maybe should have.
  • Most glaring omission is “Cicatriz Esp” but the length would have required knocking off two almost equally great songs. Mars Volta is very good at long songs.
  • Those three songs on Bedlam are incredible and I highly recommend those who checked out after the first two albums to sit down with them.
  • Noctourniquet is a great, great album.

Kveldssanger sounds like a compilation album of ‘The ambient folk tracks from black metal albumsr’

Hmmm, mine went:

1. Fake Empire
  2. Slipping Husband
  3. Don’t Swallow The Cap
  4. Sorrow
  5. Mistaken For Strangers
  6. Daughters of the Soho Riots
  7. Lit Up
  8. Murder Me Rachael
  9. Abel
  10. This Is The Last Time
  11. All The Wine
  12. Mr November

Haven’t heard Sleep Well Beast, so you can ignore me.

oh durrr, not that one. nattens madrigal is what i meant! yeah i’m not actually crazy about their folky side when they try and sound like monks,

That’s a good one! Sorrow and Lemonworld were next for me on High Violet and there’s no wrong choices off of Alligator or Boxer.

Give SWB a shot though, it’s pretty unique in their discography and has some great moments.

Been listening to Nattens Madrigal all day. Such a banger, but the production is horrid, yeah

Thanks - I will do, it’s been on my list of things to do, tempered somewhat by a “do I need to listen to yet another National album” feeling. Given Fade reignited my love of Yo La Tengo (best of to follow) I should definitely give SWB a chance!

i’ve attempted various remasters of it over the years just for my own listening but it’s just unworkable!

Had a pop at one for Thee Oh Sees as well… I attempted to get a solid spread from across their discography, got some of their all time bangers in there but wanted at least a couple of tracks to display that kind of woozy psychedelic pop that they do so well. Think mine might be a bit more obvious than @Icarus-Smicarus’ one.

:joy: lovely stuff

I consider Filosofem my favourite BM record so my tolerance for shitty lo-fi production (especially intentional) pretty high

i think the production on those early burzum records is great, genuinely. amazing records all round.

Amen to that. Have a good weekend E5

Yeah it’s not to the level of Fade but it’s got several amazing songs and an atmosphere that’s new for them. Last song is my favourite personally