Make a Best Of for your favourite band

The Antlers

The easiest one to do…to the point where I considered not posting it…but they’re a great band who are basically an amalgam of most of my favourite bands. In fact that’s probably WERE a great band…it might be that Pete’s ear trouble means they’re not coming back :frowning:

You must stop this now! The Antlers are such a joy.

1 Like

He needed some paper to write their set list and was embarrassed when I rushed to my bag and tore apart my diary for them, when to me that is an honour blushes

1 Like

Secret Name is so good - i’d heartily recommend it. Almost perfect for me. The first 5 songs in particular, and Will the Night, I just love it. It was the first i got (which definitely has an impact on its ranking) and eagerly looked forward to every album since. Ones & Sixes was the best one for a while though i think.

Nice playlist though - a few i’d swap based on personal preference for albums but would very much enjoy this one :smiley:

1 Like

initially agrees

puts on Hospice

gets in bed for three months

4 Likes

I knew that word was just plain wrong once I’d hit send.

Plays Putting The Dog To Sleep Does not feel joy

1 Like

well it can be if you take joy from really, really sad music which is possible, in a way

1 Like

Their execution of beautiful and crushing is glorious, but joyous is probably a step too far. I absolutely love them because of that.

1 Like

I had to listen to “Fight Test” to see which Cat Stevens song was being referred to. As soon as I heard it I guessed that it would be “Father and Son”, even though it’s not really similar at all. Same chord progression in the start perhaps, but it’s not a particularly unusual chord progression in popular music.

It’s not really worthy of a lawsuit, IMO, but it’s enough to change my perspective on the song

I’m basically listing moody 2000s indie rock bands…so I guess crossover is inevitable! Agree that joy is less appropriate an adjective as, for example, relentlessly melancholic.

Ah that’s a sweet story. I would do the same.

@Caedus these lists are usually shaped by which albums are preferred by the curator…which explains why mine is Things We Lost in the Fire, I Could Live in Hope and Ones & Sixes heavy.

1 Like

It’s also (very slightly) similar to “Soldier Blue” by Buffy Saint Marie, as well as sharing the fighting theme. Give me time, I’ll probably think of half a dozen more songs that share that chord progression.

It’s certainly not in the same league as George Harrison’s cover of “He’s So Fine”, or Lana del Rey’s version of “Creep”, though. Definitely not lawsuit material.

Yep I know - hence me switching a couple of tracks based on personal preference but overall liking the track list

1 Like

Pretty sure no one’s done dEUS yet. 12 tracks 1hr.

1. Suds & Soda
  2. Little Arithmetics
  3. Quatre Mains
  4. The Ideal Crash
  5. Oh Your God
  6. Morticiachair
  7. Everybody’s Weird
  8. Sun Ra
  9. The Architect
  10. W.C.S. (First Draft)
  11. Put The Freaks Up Front
  12. One Thing About Waves
1 Like

MAXINE! prob a top 5 wu song for me. nice list.

I would find room for The Forest, 260, Iron Maiden and maybe Save Me Dear and punt the fishcale tracks + maybe apollo kids.

Good. But for me Instant Street has to be on there. In my all time top 10

I would make one of just the ballads tbf. when we two parted has to be on here. and faded of course.

1 Like

lol shoulda read the whole thread first

1 Like

can’t leave off shakey dog. 260 & wildflower were in there but had to take them out because, y’'know, eric and his rules

1 Like

Talks about try-hards
Leaves off Teenage Riot

:thinking:

4 Likes