Make a Best Of for your favourite band

tried to make this into a spotify playlist but stone in focus is missing, d’oh

comes to about 53 mins even with it though so you can have one more if you like

forgot standalone singles were allowed, so whack in windowlicker and sub in come to daddy (pappy mix) for stone in focus, for Spotify purposes

That Everything’s Ruined → Just a Man closing pairing is perfect. Lovely stuff.

1 Like

This might be better placed in the much maligned thread, but I wasn’t sure what the general consensus is.

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
Tiny Dancer
Bennie And The Jets
Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long Long Time)
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
This Song Has No Title
Crocodile Rock
Honky Cat
Grey Seal
I’m Still Standing
Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)
I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues

TRIVIA: I didn’t intentionally put 3 animal based tracks in a row, that shit just happened. Also I really like the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album, hence it taking up half of the playlist.

1 Like

what are your thoughts on Daniel?

Not what I think he does best.

For reference, my favourite Elton style Elton track is This Song Has No Title. Absolutely love it.

yeah fair enough. i begrudgingly went to see him last year with my gf and it did remind me how many great songs he has (even if they sounded atrocious live)

also it’s so awesome that this exists

Thought about doing this for Underground Lovers, but 60 mins is impossible. Being absolutely ruthless, I was able to cut it down to 14 songs (70 mins), but I can’t cut no more.

crowd:
cut it!
cut it!
cut it!

1 Like

S’like choosing a favourite out of your children.

No, on second thoughts, that’s much easier than this…

1 Like

I own more albums by Elton than by any other single artist or band, with the possible exception of Joni Mitchell - I’ll have to do a count sometime. I’d have serious trouble even attempting to fit an Elton favourites playlist into 60 minutes. This, despite the fact that I mostly only like what he released prior to about 1980.

just kill two of your children so the other 12 may live, you can do it, we believe in you

Okay, managed to achieve this Underground Lovers “”“Best of”“” by adding another restriction: no songs from their two best albums. No Spotify, I’m afraid:

Get To Notice (Get To Notice)
In My Head (Rushall Station)
Descending For Now (Rushall Station)
Starsigns (Ways T’Burn)
Ways To Burn (Ways T’Burn)
Feels So Good To Be Free (Cold Feeling)
Can for Now (Weekend)
Au Pair (Weekend)
The Conde Nast Trap Staring At You Staring At Me
It’s the Way It’s Marketed Staring At You Staring At Me
Glamnesia Staring At You Staring At Me
Every Sign Staring At You Staring At Me

The exercise was useful for insofar as it helped me realise that I rate their latest album pretty much up their with the two faves that I ruled out.

2 Likes

Which two do you consider their best albums? I’m hoping I can find at least one on Youtube or somewhere - I know one that you mentioned I was able to find only about half of. Thanks again for bringing them to my attention, Staring at You Staring at Me was one of the top discoveries of last year for me. I love it start to finish.

Thought of a good one for who are I feel are a criminally underrated band (but understand Patrick Kindlon’s voice/style isn’t for everyone) so here’s Self Defense Family:

(dunno why the preview isn’t loading)

1. Indoor Wind Chimes
  2. Tithe Pig
  3. Staying Current
  4. All True At The Time
  5. Mistress Appears at Funeral
  6. Self Immolation Family
  7. Good Idea Machine
  8. Cottaging
  9. Everybody Wants a Prize For a Feeling
  10. Heaven is Earth
  11. Basic Skills
  12. Brittany Murphy in 8 Mile

55mins

Wanted to get Dingo Fence in there for lols but it’s too long, so here it is anyway:

3 Likes

ok um, spotify appears to be having other ideas about that so… sorry?

Thanks for reminding me they exist. I remember at the very least liking many parts of Heaven Is Earth (especially the title track) a lot, but then somehow completely forgot about them.

1 Like

yeah given our shared stuff in this thread I reckon you’d really be into them

let’s see if this works? Or could you have a go? Or follow my profile?

nope I’ve got no fucking idea why this isn’t working

Still not working for some reason, but I’ll follow you and give them a shot again. Yeah, we have a ton of overlap (though I’m a tremendous baby who hasn’t learned how to handle Converge-style vocals yet).

1 Like