Makes me laugh the way the Gillingham in Dorset

is pronounced with a hard G. Daft.

1 Like

Schillingham.

1 Like

Nah it’s not

It is

That’s how they’re differentiated

Stayed at the eponymous, differently-pronounced Northumberland village for my sister’s friend’s wedding in summer 2017, and now I keep pronouncing yer ruddy bloody brave young footer man as “Jude BELLINGE-ham”

1 Like

Woah

Problem is, there’s absolutely no way to differentiate between the Dorset and Norfolk ones. They are literally the same place, to all intents and purposes.

Had no idea there was one in Norfolk as well?

Illingham

There isn’t it’s literally the same place as the one in Dorset.

1 Like

I keep reading the thread title as ‘Make me laugh the way Gillingham in Dorset…’ like it’s a challenge

2 Likes

That’s where my man lives. Wanna visit?

I would say it both ways constantly just yo fuck with people.

Once tried to work out if a soft or hard G was more dominant in English and if there were any strong rules about how to tell.

My colleague always used to pronounce with a hard g when referring to it but then quickly correct himself and I’d say to fappable why does my colleague keep saying it like that and then I found out about the other Gillingham this is the most boring post of all time

Jillinjham

1 Like

Ginger
George
Gentle
Gel

Gambit
Gift
Good
Garden

There’s no rule to differentiate?

1 Like

Ah okay there is some sort of a rule image

1 Like

Hmm, at least 51,200 posts ahead of it.

Useful stuff!

Although ‘gift’ breaks the I rule because of course languages like to fuck with us.

2 Likes

I’m going to start saying jift, then a few years later I’ll move on to cift to align with my European portfolio

1 Like