Making stuff

Creative/crafts things you’re making.

I’ve been making this patchwork quilt. It’s done the traditional way- the hexagons are hand-sewn round paper templates, and then hand-sewn together to make the rosettes, and then joined up to make a quilt. All the fabrics are recycled- either old clothes/bedsheets or scraps of leftover fabric.

I’ve been stuck indoors with endless tonsilitis lately, so I’ve got a fair bit more made of this. I’ve been making it every now and then since Christmas. Only 400 or so hexagons for one double sized quilt.

That’s my mum’s cat providing some professional help.

13 Likes

currently not making anything as i have no skills, gonna take a clay sculpture class as soon as i can afford it though

1 Like

Can’t do any crafts, don’t have the patience/hand-eye co-ordination. Cooking’s pretty much my only creative outlet tbh

1 Like

would also like to be good at sewing and stuff but reckon there’s no chance, was awful at textiles at school

1 Like

Probably a stupid question but do you then take the paper out?

It looks good, I might try it

I’m glad you asked that… Do.you wash it and it turns to mush so you can take it out…? Kindoff fold it out? I dunno…

Looks good though

Yeah you take it out right at the last minute- you leave it in until everything is sewn up, so the edges stay exact and meet up properly. It’s called English Paper Piecing, there are loads of tutorials and printable templates on the internet. (I learnt from my nan).

1 Like

You can just unfold them from the back- there’s a hole left for that.

What makes for a better career- being able to sew vs THE LAW

What is sewing if you don’t have the Pile and the Stash that you mean to get round to doing some time?

those are all proper nice

For a couple of weeks earlier this year I had it in my head to start making bronze sculptures, but some cursory research made it seem like it might be difficult to reach the temperatures necessary to melt bronze in my flat…very disappointing

You might have to move to a foundry to make your dreams come true.

I like that boat one- what are you considering making from it?

One day!

did a lot of embroidery for the first half of this year. my hands generally get worse in the colder months (arthritis and raynaud’s. the arthritis is rheumatoid too, so certain tasks aren’t pleasant at all to do because of eroded joints etc.). think i’m gonna get back into making zines.

reckon i have to get talking to people on twitter in order to actually start some of the projects i want to do.

oh yeah. haven’t got the sewing machine out all year. need to hem a pair of jeans and seam a dress. would probably take all of 30 minutes but keep putting it off ¯\ _ (ツ) _ /¯

Started drawing a comic book about me wanting to kill myself but tbqh it was more effort than it was worth so I’ve sacked it off bd

1 Like

Did it make you feel in any way better?

Nah it stressed me out no end