Making stuff

pretty much this

roadhouse is just great :slight_smile:

Ooh you hand sew?
I have a machine so was going to use that but that could be all wrong!

‘nobody ever wins a fight’

:):):slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a techy digital assistant project I’m working on at the moment, can post some details of that if anyone is interested?

That scarf’s really nice and autumnal. Crochet’s the craft I know how to do the least. I’ve got some hooks and a couple of books, but not got round to it. Got that jumper and a quilt to finish first.

Went to the Viking Museum in Roskilde last year, and they were doing demonstrations of this, Nålebinding, a kind of Viking crochet done with a flat wooden needle. I got one of the needles for a couple of pounds, and made a chain, but haven’t learnt how to do stuff like mittens yet.

Yeah those quilt sections in the photo are handsewn. It’s really portable, which is good, as I’ve been back and forth between the UK and France all summer, with some time in Italy too, and still have all my stuff packed up in boxes.

Just noticed as well that you said you went to Austin recently- I’ve got a friend who runs quilting classes there.

This other thread I made may also come in useful for you then at some point

it’s like a 50/50 hardware/software, when it’s finished it’ll work a little bit like an Amazon Echo.

I’m still not 100% clear what an Amazon Echo does- I was under the impression that it was a speaker that’s also kind of a Siri for your house, and you can link things like the thermostat, lights etc to it if you have the internet ones? So only useful if your household items/music are also connected?

Is it at a shop in north Austin?

We stayed in north loop and I saw there was a quilting workshop and fabric shop place there

No I looked up the shop’s address, and the place is south of the river, an area called Bouldin. Quilting is huge in the US, so they have loads of people wanting to go to classes.

Sort of, for me the major source of interest, which interestingly they’ve not really talked up that much, is the fact that it can also retrieve content from amazon’s own online knowledge base which if I remember correctly has a similar sort of content to something like wikipedia.

It can also utilize to several online services (Just Eat, Uber and Amazon so far).*

*Not on their payroll although if anyone from their is reading this and wants to slip me a few quid that would be fine and dandy.

Every time automated amazon ordering comes up, I remember the time my elderly, computer illiterate dad managed to order a giant box full of multiple copies of part 2 of 4 in a romance novel series, and I had to send it back for him. Still have no idea how he managed to do that.

You mumble vaguely “I want a pizza” and Future House immediately jumps into action ordering one for you whether you like it or not. In future you have to hide in the toilet to stop your house doing everything you say.

:grin: this sounds like the plot to a Black Mirror episode.

1 Like

Also was the plot of a story in a book I had when I was a kid. The rich politician’s family in the future have a smart house with smart everything, and buy a robot to look after their kid. The dishwasher, microwave and car all hate the robot and gang up against it. Then some burglars/kidnappers try to break in while the parents are away and the robot and household appliances foil them with some Home Alone style capers.

Ah Stitch Lab! I just googled and I had cycled past it. It looks like a cute house.

The wool shop I went to had this beaut street art outside. It’s in south congress.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the place. I felt a bit weird putting a link, because they have photos of all the teachers on the website.