Making stuff

It’s not difficult, you just need to use the right glue and then varnish over the top. I recommend this stuff for the gluing. It’s better for the job than the standard formula of PVA, and also comes in matte, gloss, glitter etc versions.

Thanks! Can you use any old paper or does it have to thin?

Thin paper works a lot better, as it doesn’t have edges that can stick up.

You can buy printed tissue paper in art shops especially for decoupaging curved surfaces like frames.

Great, can’t wait to get started now!

Very unoriginal, but I have come up with this little snow-capped mountain thing which ticks all the boxes for techniques that should be included. Started off with a jagged snowline, but I think the smooth curve will look better and sawing curves adds to the technical variation. We are allowed to use copper so I am doing that to save money and I am going to polish it to a matte finish rather than have it hyper shiny.
IMG_20171025_200835080
(the snow bit will be cut out so you would see whatever is behind it)

I also bought these cool sheets of coloured anodised aluminium which if they are good to work with could make some nice little Christmas decorations (the green would also be a good alternative for my mountain design):

4 Likes

Spent the morning hunting for my lino printing supplies. Next comes the accidentally stabbing myself in the hand and swearing stage. Even after the lino plate has been on the radiator

1 Like

Old background plate that I cleaned up the cut out section of a little, and new plate ready to cut after resting on the radiator for a while to soften up.

The first cut is the deepest. I very much recommend these plastic cutting trays. Protects your hand and makes it easy to turn and rotate the plate. Also warm up the plate to soften it

Details all cut - just got to get rid of the background now

trying to do more stuff and stop being a Big Bitter Dropout
two recent things -

can’t get that eye right so cba, will just say its a metaphor

4 Likes

I like pink

trying to make a papier mache mask thing to make me look like a cyclops for Halloween. Will post pictures of the miraculous success/dismal failure next week

Two plates ready for printing after I’ve had some lunch

1 Like

These people do print on demand glossy magazines. They’re not particularly cheap though.

Most standard printers want you to order boxes and boxes of the things.

1 Like

this sounds great. are you gonna do some scientific illustrations too?

1 Like

First test print. Needs more ink. I ditched the background as it was too fussy and didn’t print consistently.

Hand-printing from lino plates with nothing but a roller is a pain in the arse.

3 Likes

So here’s the seahorse prints. If you want one, they’re £2.80 each, which includes UK postage. They’re A5 sized and printed on 300gsm watercolour paper.

http://shop.anoteonarainynight.com/shop-2/prints/seahorse/

Did a blog post with a brief intro to how to lino print

Hard to take a selfie with this piece on

1 Like