Manic Street Preachers - New Album

This news makes me happy, especially after Futurology. I am surprised they’re doing arenas, though… I mean, I’d like them to be arena-sized but I didn’t think they were anymore.

Looking forward to having them back This was a favourite from the last album -

They have become a great British band in the mould as Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order and The Cure are for me by this point.

5 Likes

Pint of piss aside, I’d go with that. Holy Bible show at the Roundhouse was awesome, but Wembley Aorcraft Hangar…

2 Likes

Or Aircraft even. Sloppy.

New single. It’s a bit Manics by numbers, but a nice pop record regardless - International Blue - Single by Manic Street Preachers | Spotify

Totally agree. No surprises… and that’s alright. Even if the new album isn’t another Futurology, this suggests it will at least be able to be filed under “one of their good ones”.

1 Like

they only know how to do Manics by numbers. And they’ve run out of numbers.

1 Like

I really like international blue. I haven’t really listened to any Manics stuff for about 15 years but heard this on the radio today and was pleasantly surprised. Instantly likeable. Made me go home and find it on iTunes to have another listen.

2 Likes

I love almost all their stuff but every now and then you get an absolute manics by numbers track and I hate it. This is one of those.

1 Like

:grinning: @Mistersteve very good

Buh?

Thought the two two likes were a subtle poke pointing out my swift change of attitude, which I thought was quite good. Never mind!

Ah. Yes.

Either way, you’re right.

1 Like

I swear there was a reviewer here who said the Manic Street Preachers became a ‘Tesco rock band’ after Everything Must Go (on an actual official DiS review) .

Fuck you, whoever you are.

2 Likes

seems pretty accurate tbh

6 Likes

Completely forgot I wrote that. Had a lot of drink last night.

They never reached the same heights after Everything Must Go but even their worst album (Postcards) is bloody enjoyable. Weird to think that album came out in this decade.

Album tracklist is:
1.People Give In
2.International Blue
3.Distant Colours
4.Vivian
5.Dylan & Caitlin
6.Liverpool Revisited
7.Sequels of Forgotten Wars
8.Hold Me Like a Heaven
9.In Eternity
10.Broken Algorithms
11.A Song for the Sadness
12.The Left Behind

Deluxe:
1.People Give In (Demo)
2.International Blue (Demo)
3.Distant Colours (Demo)
4.Vivian (Demo)
5.Dylan & Caitlin (Demo)
6.Liverpool Revisited (Demo)
7.Sequels of Forgotten Wars (Demo)
8.Hold Me Like a Heaven (Demo)
9.In Eternity (Demo)
10.Broken Algorithms (Demo)
11.A Song for the Sadness (Demo)
12.The Left Behind (Demo)
13.Concrete Fields
14.A Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal

1 Like

Didn’t Henry Rollins once say something like “if you keep banging away for long enough people will listen” about U2. Same applies to the Manics. Always chancers and largely devoid of talent. The post BritPop bandwagon was their payday and it somehow keeps on giving. Yes they have their merits and the Richey thing was tragic but are they actually good or relevant? The new album title practically acknowledges all of this. Avoid.

2 Likes

Really?

1 Like

agreed. Shit sixth form lyrics and a shouty singer. Looks like Nicky Wire has written about Dylan Thomas on the latest album. I dread to think what that’s going to be like.