• Midnight Family
  • Colour Out of Space
  • Downhill
  • Dark Waters
  • True History of the Kelly Gang
  • The Invisible Man
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

@JaguarPirate to continue from other thread, I have seen Force Majeur. I wasnt too bowled over by it (it was about half an hour too long) which may be why I am.a bit kinder on Downhill then others seem to be.

Watched Existenz on Mubi, quite enjoyed it

1 Like

Will vote after I’ve seen POALOF tonight

unfairly maligned imo

4 Likes

Yeah it isnt amazing but its a good ol romp. Jude Law is good imho

1 Like

The Invisible Man would be better if there wasn’t actually an Invisible Man.

1 Like

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

This Pitch Perfect prequel sees the franchise take a whole new direction. Seriously though, it’s great! Worth it for the bonfire scene and the final scene alone.

Husbands and Wives

Another film that makes me glad I’m not married. Really vicious, Judy Davis is especially good.

LA Confidential and the Kore-eda film After the Storm are now on iPlayer

1 Like

LA Confidential is so good

4 Likes

One of the best films of the 90s, one of the best adaptations of a great novel (how they distill such a sprawling book is amazing), just brilliant all round. Though seeing James Cromwell in it when at the time you only know him from Babe is a bit of a shock to the system.

3 Likes

tthis is a bit of a spoiler given that it could still go either way on this till about 40% through the film?

There’s proof in the trailer, but point taken.

Ah is there? Didn’t see that :slight_smile:

Watched Cold War the other day… It looked nice and I enjoyed the bit at the beginning where they are going around recording polish folk songs but… not really into overall, seemed a bit bland, guess I found the central romance uninteresting and I was quite bored after awhile. Oh well

Thought portrait… Was really good. Told at that wonderful simmering tense pace where very little plot happens and 2 hours fly by. The 2 central performances were excellent, especially heloise.

1 Like

You can also see Adele Haenel in the amazing 120 BPM and she’s in The Unknown Girl which is on iPlayer

1 Like

I think this was my view on Force Majeure. Can’t be arsed with Downhill, looks weirdly out of step considering there’s (hopefully) going to be a greater mainstreaming of foreign language cinema.

I really liked one of that director’s other films though – Involuntary, I think. It was kinda directionless maybe: a bunch of vignettes, often w very lingering shots - but I really enjoyed watching it

It is. The biggest shock I ever got from someone like that, though, was Michael Palin as a state torturer in Brazil. He’s a really convincing villain and I don’t think it’s not all down to playing against type.

2 Likes

Just want to say a big well done to Eric for getting the last post in the February thread, impressive work.

1 Like