March 2021 Film Thread (old and new film chat welcome)

watched The Naked Kiss, a Sam Fuller one about a prostitute who finds a new life in a city until she finds her fiancee doing something unspeakable. Has some really memorable scenes in this and a good twisty narrative. It’s all on Youtube, definitely recommend it

Thank god Masterchef is here to cheer me up

To me they are, in that they get inside the mind of a cold blooded killer and show how they operate. I appreciate that Angst is a lot more visceral though.

They tried this in the 2000s with Nicole Kidman, I don’t see this one working any better

Watched At Close Range last night. Brilliant.

Also watched Memento recently. Obviously Nolan’s best work and it was all downhill from there.

2 Likes

So how about a general monthly film news thread, and a thread for what we’ve been watching?

7 Likes

yeah this makes sense, feel like news/discussion often gets a bit lost especially as we’re all watching a billion films a week at the minute

2 Likes

Kore-eda’s film After Life is being made into a play at the National Theatre

https://variety.com/2021/legit/global/national-theatre-reopening-after-life-under-milk-wood-1234937860/

1 Like

Promising Young Woman will be on NowTV on April 16th

Would love a separate thread for new trailers/film news.

2 Likes

monthly watching threads? is there any value in trying to split older film discussions off from new films, or do we assume anything that’s worthy enough of discussion will get its own individual thread made

Watched The Five Venoms last night, shaw brothers kung fu film. Good fun.

4 Likes

I’d say have a rolling ‘films recently watched thread’

I’d assume the latter

I’m also hoping being in a separate space might encourage specific threads about older films/directors than before if people think it’s worth it. I watched Do the Right Thing for the first time the other day and am thinking of making a thread about it, definitely wouldn’t have done that before.

3 Likes

please do! best film

2 Likes

Watching Total Recall on NowTV. Cannot believe a streaming service is this poor in 2021. This is with the HD Boost ad on.

2 Likes

hmm does he mean GPS when says GPRS there?!

i will watch this just in case it’s good but… it just looks like any standard horror film to me, and doesn’t seem particularly original bearing in mind we’ve had The VVitch and Midsommar in recent years.

Where The Wild Things Are :bear: 2.5/5 (Netflix)
Tactile and charming, but for something about boundless childish imagination I sadly found it fuzzy and flat. Kept nodding off, which isn’t a good sign. Costumes and soundtrack do alot of heavy lifting.

Meet Me In St. Louis :us: 2.5/5 (BBC 2)
Almost sickly sweet with Americana and even though filled with bold technicolour it’s extremely white. Enjoyed a fair few more musicals from this era.

Stronger :baseball: 2.5/5 (BBC 1)
Pretty much beat for beat what you expect. Took a while for a connection to latch on when the tough balance of trauma, recovery and celebrity became somewhat central. First time I recall seeing Maslany in something and she was great and understated with JG keeping up his usual high standard.

Labyrinth :dog: 3.5/5 (Netflix)
Delightfully bonkers and insanely inventive. Really wish I had seen this 25 years ago. It really doesn’t feel right watching in HD for the first time in 2021… The ideal circumstances should really have been a grainy 4:3 recording off ITV in 1992 on a Memorex VHS tape. Can’t believe my parents recorded me stuff like Mac & Me and not this.

Step Brothers :two_men_holding_hands: 1/5 (ITV 4)
Stupidly infantile, reductively one note, flat as a pancake and heavily relies on the ‘lol so random’ format that riddled the 2000’s. Just about made it through.

Seaspiracy :ocean: 3.5/5 (Netflix)
Uses every current documentary trick and cliche in the book to get a gravely important message across. Can only hope it reaches a wide audience and helps change behaviour.

Paperman :page_facing_up: 3.5/5 (YouTube)
Such beauty, grace and fluidity in the movement.

Munchausen :skull_and_crossbones: 3/5 (YouTube)
The transitions, escalating dread and sweeps in the score utilised here are true sign posts for what (further excellence) is to come from Ari.

The Great Train Robbery :steam_locomotive: 3/5 (YouTube)
Wow that final shot is haunting - like a wanted poster come to life. Imagine being someone in 1903 watching that.

Wadija :bike: 3.5/5 (Netflix)
A sweet coming of age story made in surroundings resistant to such things. A bit rough around the edges, but that can easily be excused and makes up for it in the subtle ways it deals with the wider issues facing the people (especially women) of Saudi Arabia.

Thunder Road :oncoming_police_car: 2/5 (Netflix)
Seemingly on my own in finding this really tough to get on with and rather repetitive. Didn’t find it engaging, clever or funny.

2 Likes