March Attacks: The Politics Thread

“Greater Manchester will be the first area outside the capital to have a regulated bus system since the 1980s”

Isn’t the bus system in Edinburgh run like this? Or is that different @guntrip

“Stagecoach, which is seeking a judicial review over the proposals, said it was ‘disappointed and surprised’. “

Lovely stuff.

1 Like

I think that a lot of that sentence hinges on the word ‘regulated’. There are other models in operation as well:

1 Like

As in Nottingham/Edinburgh buses are run by a publicly owned company?
Sorry can’t be arsed to click the link right now but will do sometime.

They’re run by Municipal Bus Companies. They’re arms-length companies owned, or part owned by the local councils. Lothian is the biggest in the UK.

There are quite a few in the UK, but they often only run a couple of unprofitable, but socially important, routes that the private operators won’t touch.

London doesn’t own it’s buses, but manages them on a ‘franchise’ model with private operators in the same way that the London Overground works, i.e TfL set the routes, the frequency and the fares centrally.

From my reading, Manchester are going down the TfL route rather than the Municipal Bus Company route…

Fuck Stagecoach shit bus company give me my Orange Bus back you bastards

3 Likes

Yes! Used to get the 917 from Walkden to Boothstown and occasionally the 553 from Bolton to Boothstown and they were orange monstrosities like this

1 Like

Yeah, this.

i’ve just watched this and have no fucking idea what he’s talking about

1 Like

a lot of milk action on my twitter timeline tonight

1 Like

26 from Leigh to Manchester was my regular Saturday bus (went through Boothstown). 10p for under 16s like all GM Buses fares

Why does this make me feel incredibly nostalgic? I wasn’t even born.

Alex Salmond starting his own party then.

They’ll be vocally Terf-y as well, so will attract that crowd too.

It’ll be interesting to see where Cherry decides to go on this one.

She became mysteriously ill the moment the election campaign period started. :face_with_monocle: There’s every chance it could be for genuine reasons, but she’ll almost certainly be spending the day negotiating just how big a role she can have in Big Eck’s Egotrippers.

EDIT: As much as I think Salmond should be fired into the sun, I am looking forward to all the biggest wankers being siphoned off from the SNP so we can all point, laugh and cringe at them.

3 Likes

Big fan of them mispronouncing Alba all the time.

Isn’t Cherry’s thing that she’s a GC feminist though? I’m not sure that she’d join a party headed up by Salmond, given the reasons for him being cast out by the SNP.

1 Like

You’d think. However, she’s been defensive of Salmond throughout the last few years and is usually listed as a ‘Salmond ally’ in the press. :grimacing:

1 Like

The abhorrent Wingsoverscotland.com is touting it as the party for “science and women’s rights” if you wanted anything further to confirm that it is all the TERFs that’ll be lining up to vote for them

1 Like

Eurgh!