March Film Thread.

Yeah, like you I found it a revelation in that I’d never been taught about it at school, but I found the film itself to be a bit of a hard slog - like a revision piece before an exam I felt at times I should have been taking notes. Admittedly, though, the last half an hour was one of the most visceral pieces of cinema I’d seen in quite a while. Made me feel very angry.

Seeing ‘Burning’ tomorrow which I’m very excited about. Have heard many positive things about it and, being a Murakami devotee, I’m looking forward to see how his short story that the film is based on is adapted.

out of interest, as a non-wrestling fan how did the wrestling stuff come off for you? Was it portrayed in an interesting way, did it get you potentially interested in it at all? Just fascinated to work out where they were going with this

Watched Border. Hard to say I enjoyed it as it has such a dark sub plot but its very intriguing

I felt like the wrestling was deliberately given a back seat to the family story - the only thing I took away from it was being really puzzled over the fixed aspect and how people invest so much energy in something they know is fixed. Like when Paige was celebrating with her victory beat at the end but she hadn’t actually won it? I can understand if people follow wrestling for the theatre of it but yeah I don’t think it’s for me.

Winning a title is still a symbol of prestige despite it being pre-determined. The celebrations and emotions are a response to the work and journey being rewarded with the status.

3 Likes

Oh god can we please have the wrestling chat somewhere else

2 Likes

watched the favourite last night. not sure if the weird angles / lenses added much but still enjoyed it quite a bit. not seen any of yer man’s films before, had been putting off seeing the lobster for a while as it looked like it might annoy me but will probs give it a go now.

also watched spiderverse which was aces obvs. made me want to take up graffiti, not that I’m impressionable at all

1 Like

well think about it like this, though it is predetermined in theory wrestlers are rewarded with titles for their hard work and popularity (or lack of if a heel). Now nothing in Wrestling is particularly logical, but they do tell stories and pull genuine surprises, and the match it’s based on where Paige won on her first night on the main roster was a pretty incredible moment both for fans and in terms of everything she worked for… but I agree in that I don’t think the film did a particularly good job of conveying that. Here is the actual match (fast forwarded to the finish) and watch the crowd and Paige’s reaction, it’s about as genuine and emotional as it gets:

1 Like

it’s relevant to the film thread. Don’t worry literally no one else will go see the film or talk about it so it will be over soon.

2 Likes

at least until the hulkster biopic comes out, brother

2 Likes

Ahem

1 Like

Welcome! Please join

what shall I watch this evening DiS? any less obvious films on Amazon/Netflix? got massive option paralysis looking at my watchlist

(Not seen it yet but I really like Smerch so hope it does well)

1 Like

The Handmaiden?
The Duke of Burgundy?
Beast?

I think these are on Amazon still and definitely worth a look if you’ve not seen them

1 Like
3 Likes

Watched The Handmaiden this week, loved it - will definitely check out the other 2 at some point, cheers!

I decided to watch Road House because… dunno. But jesus, Sam Elliott in this film - maybe the most handsome anyone’s ever been?!

1 Like

Its proper boring as well, not even so bad its good. Just shit

1 Like

saw Wreck it Ralph 2 this week. It was fucking dreadful. Jesus christ.