March Film Thread.

Didn’t realise that the new Tarantino film is Leonardo DiCaprio’s first film since The Revenant (over three years ago now) - he’s turning into Daniel Day Lewis!

1 Like

it’s number 1 in the box office too which I am really happy about

it’s worth listening/;watching Merchant’s interview on the Kermode and Mayo show. Amazing how likeable and funny he still is whereas Gervais has gone completely the other way

1 Like

finally got round to seeing Hereditary tonight with a very nervy erstwhile-DiSer @suedehead. he needn’t have been so worried in my opinion - wasn’t particularly scary but I did like a lot of how it was done. had some great old-school gross out violent moments, some good exorcist-style scares, but i really felt like it just lost its way towards the end. also - probably the most unpopular opinion here - i really didn’t like toni collette’s performance, started fine but by the end was almost pantomimey. was fine overall.

here’s some more spoilered bits:

don’t really get why toni collette was suddenly sticking to walls/flying around - also not particularly scary, although i’m sure it got some gasps in the cinema, but that seemed to be the only reason it was there. the bits in the corner of the room were well shot and subtle at least. and in fairness i thought the head banging on the door of the attic was great - just a bit out of nowhere.
head-smash-pole was brilliant. properly burst out laughing. maybe that says more about me than the film.
patti from the leftovers!
guess i just don’t really get the correlation between the daughter wanting to get into her brother’s body/vessel and the mum being possessed (?) as well. maybe someone else can explain.

Did not realise that either

As someone who knows basically nothing about wrestling, I went into Fighting with My Family just hoping for a decent family comedy. I was actually surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it. Solid performances and I definitely felt the family bond between them. I was even quite engaged by the wrestling scenes.

3 Likes

for anyone after a bit of extra viewing, the documentary on which Fighting with My Family is based is really excellent. Just re-watched it there and there’s a great amount of detail from it that goes into the film:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-wrestlers-fighting-with-my-family/on-demand/52751-001?redirectUrl

1 Like

Didn’t the demon have to pass through different vessels to get to the son?

Knew this existed but had no idea it was a Ch4 thing - thanks for that!

1 Like

very much enjoyed Beale Street tonight. Lovely film and the social commentary was pitched just right. A quiet film with some absolutely stunning scenes.

1 Like

Went to see Instant Family because I wasn’t in the mood for anything challenging and it is charming albeit way too long.

1 Like

Watched Eighth Grade. It’s not very good

Vice - Thought this was decent tbf. I haven’t seen The Big Short so I guess the storytelling style was still new to me and I got on with it. Knew the man is a piece of shit, didn’t realise quite how big a piece of shit he is though. Christian Bale impression performances don’t do much for me, everyone else was fine though.

1 Like

‘Black Narcissus’ & ‘The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp’ are both on BBC iPlayer atm

3 Likes

seen some good films yesterday and today:

Winter’s Bone: had already watched it but still great. not as nice looking as Leave No Trace but a better film imo

Thelma and Louse: yeah brilliant. really funny and well acted and moving. only bit i didn’t like was that scene where they blow up the guys lorry, felt like something from a farrely brothers film.

Ray & Liz: still processing this but think it’s a masterpiece. a really bleak one. bit like a ken loach film if he was more influenced by samuel beckett. absolutely beautiful to look at

been looking at the original pictures from the Ray’s a laugh album
woah

1 Like

Watched Widows (2018)
thought it was very fun stuff

<3 viola davis
Daniel Kaluuya is in equal parts terrifying and boner inducing

7.5/10

4 Likes

Why am I crying?!

wtf.

Captain Marvel: