Mario Odyssey

mate

5 Likes
1 Like

Well, once again, I feel stupid

4 Likes

my son has become obsessed with pulling off the most difficult jumps - usually there is no reward at all apart from the satisfaction of making it, but it seems to have become a “thing”

1 Like

Am spending a lot of time doing this too :grinning:

1 Like

Spent A LOT of time with the game this weekend as my wife was away. Finished to the credits with around 450 moons and have probably picked up another 70 or so since. Not done a huge amount in mushroom kingdom other than pick up the purple coins - have all of these now up to the dark and darker sides of the moon which I’ve not visited yet. Wasted a ridiculous number of coins by getting to 9999 and not purchasing new outfits immediately so if you care and get to this stage, spend them! Working back through the worlds in the order I opened them, as much as I can. First two are pretty much complete except the art one from the cap world- no idea what that is

I still don’t understand how you do this

I recommend practicing on level ground for about ten minutes.

The steps are relatively straightforward, but chaining them together takes a bit of muscle memory:

1. Throw cappy forward
  2. Run in to cappy (this will launch you upwards)
  3. Throw cappy again
  4. Do a lunge jump on to cappy
  5. Throw cappy again
  6. Do a lunge jump again (you won’t get to land on cappy this time).

It’s definitely worth getting good at because it makes exploring the kingdoms a lot more fun. It’s great just trying to do an outrageous jump instead of following the prescribed route.

2 Likes

Also, don’t panic! You actually have a slight delay to pull it off and I made the mistake for hours of doing all the inputs in a sweaty moment of hysteria. But actually, it’s more rhythmic and deliberate.

You don’t need to do this to complete the game or even do a huge chunk of the post game, but the more taxing moon’s will 100% ask this of you.

How do you do a lunge jump onto cappy if you have to hold down Y to throw him out without him coming back to you

1 Like

Whilst you’ve held down Y to spin and throw cappy, you press ZL and X I think, off the top of my head, to do it. X and Y do the same thing so can be used to chain moves together.

I think my son does it like this - but I use Y for the whole move. You just need to hold Y for long enough so cappy keeps spinnning, then you can take your finger off Y - then press it again with ZL

as you say though - the key is to relax, you don’t have to mash the buttons all at once

1 Like

hmm ok I’ll try this again later

when I was practicing I found moving the camera so I was looking at Mario side on helped with the timing etc

1 Like

so all time Mario rankings goes:

Super Mario World
Galaxy 2
Odyssey
Galaxy
Mario 3
Mario 64
3D World
3D Land
Super Mario Bros
Sunshine
Who cares

1 Like

Super Mario 64 (nothing will ever beat seeing Mario work in three dimensions or be such a leap)
Super Mario Galaxy (Grinned for a week playing this)
Super Mario Odyssey (currently)
Super Galaxy 2 (better game than Galaxy but less beautiful)
New Super Mario Bros U (Under rated)
Super Mario Bros (Important but not great now)
Super Mario Mario 3D World (Over rated)
Mario Maker (Not for me)

Shamefully have never played the others, bar the first level of a couple. Will rectify that on Virtual Console.

never played 64 at the time and it’s really hard to go back to now, so blurry

2 Likes

64 blew my mind as a kid. Vividly remember seeing it for the first time in a Currys display. Couldn’t get near the controller with the kids swarming around it like flies. I literally thought that video games had reached their final apex. It was a real life Mario World. As vivid as our own.

Looks and plays like shite now though, dunnit?

2 Likes

Mate you need SMB3 and Super Mario World asap.

1 Like

The DS remake is a lot more palatable if you have the means to play it.

2 Likes