Mario Odyssey

I don’t think this at all, I frequently go back to the original on an emulator and I think it holds up really well. I did play it to death at the time though, so it could be a fair bit of nostalgia mixed in

I took out my supermarket shelf stacking salary and savings, bought an N64 and Mario the Friday it launched, rinsed it all weekend solid to get all 300 stars and returned it on Monday morning. Bit cheeky but HAD to experience it. Such a generation leap. Nothing will probably ever compare to that again I doubt, in terms of gaming progression.

2 Likes

I know, I know…

Was about to say this- it is how I fully experienced it

I had my name down for an n64 early on at my local Electronics Boutique. Took me ages to save up. I even did a load of my coursework early to free up some time. I rinsed Mario for weeks. I remember being a bit disappointed how easy it was but still an amazing experience.

1 Like

On a related note I also snagged a copy of Ocarina on launch day after the shop had to hold a ballot. I convinced my mum to let me wag off school to play it. Amazing…

Yup that’s where I got it from too! Good old EB.

The Dashing Above and Beyond moon in the Snow Kingdom is incredible

Scenes on this, christ:

2 Likes

Christ… No idea how people do this shit.

that’s insane

Speed running boggles my mind.

6 Likes

I just recieved 36 moons speaking to the archivist toadette in the Mushroom Kingdom :open_mouth:

2 Likes

So. What the fuck is the hint art all about?

2 Likes

Won’t spoil specifics but essentially they are hints for stars in other kingdoms (but think the star is included on the list for the kingdom in which the art appears).

The first one in Cap Kingdom is reeallly obscure (I thought) but others make a bit more sense!

Ok so the dark side of the moon is basically impossible with the consecutive boss fights right?

I’ve not managed it yet. Got to the end of 2 with just 3 stars but died. Suspect the best way of doing it is to buy a heart from a shop before tackling it.

1 Like

Took me ages trying with 3 hearts, so I bought the extra 3, and of course I then did it first time only losing 2 hearts

4 Likes

I think you can go back to your ship between fights and recharge. Am yet to try it though but sure I heard that on a podcast.

Will definitely be trying that tonight then, ta!