Mario Odyssey

Little bit down on this game overall, there’s tonnes of great charming moments but half of the worlds don’t feel very iconic/themed and post credits it just feels a bit like an empty grind to me. Got about 600 moons now think I’m done with it.

Feels like loads of great moments that couldn’t quite make up to a cohesive whole. Maybe I’m expecting something that’s just not what Mario is.

Both great games but I just feel a tiny bit deflated with this and Zelda compared to the critical hype.

I totally respect that view. It has been, in points, weirdly mesmerising. but I’m coming to gaming again for the first time since 2012 and all I wanted was a wonderfully rounded experience, and one that played to my strengths. I love platformers and Mario 64 is the pinnacle, and this feels in parts like a reboot of that.

I however can totally understand the feelings, especially now I am 512 moons and feel like there are plenty of nooks and crannies to go and look into, but mostly I feel like quite a few of them are a bit samey now.

But overall this is not only the best game I’ve played, in my view, for years, but the sheer number of “oh shit” moments can fill me for a year or so. The Switch can get away with a few months of no games for me now, it’s paid back it’s cost in spades.

Now, to buy Rocket League.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree with this. The sheer volume of stuff to do, regardless or the repetitive nature of a few of the moons, coupled with the number of fresh ideas it’s thrown at me has made it a whole bag of fun. Totally different kind of game to Zelda in my opinion, plus you can buy both. Odyssey is exactly what I wanted it to be, and more.

Thanks, Nintendo.

2 Likes

I haven’t loved this anywhere like i did Galaxy or 64 and I can’t shake a very slight sense of disappointment with it for that reason. Maybe they were just shocks of the new, whereas this is more of the same done very well and with a smart mechanical twist. Or maybe I believed the hype too much.

I would still heartily recommend the game to everyone I know; it has transformed my Sunday mornings with the kids from ‘CBeebies hell’ to ‘happy to be up at 6am’ and it makes me smile more than many other games I’ve ever played have. And that in itself, is amazing.

2 Likes

Regarding the scooter challenge: theres also a set of fire escape stairs you can drive it up with care.

I did that for one, did what others suggested above re: high > low for the other spot.

Just remembered there’s a scooter up… very high so now excited to give that a go later.

1 Like

:smiley:

My daughter finds it too interesting to be play next to her.

I’m a bit like this with Mario. It often feels a bit pointless doing stuff post credits unless there is a really awesome unlock able.

With Zelda I waited until I’d combed through every area and got nearly all the shrines before tackling ganon so that wasn’t a problem. And anyway I’ve still enjoyed going back to Zelda, the whole world is just so damn magical and fun I can be happy just doing anything. Definitely met the hype with me, Mario much less so

2 Likes

@anon5266188 @NotEvenDreams @grievoustim

https://twitter.com/mondaygraveyard/status/935976446748528640

4 Likes

that’s helpful! I was surprised when there was no heart on offer for this

Cool ,- I’m sporting a tasteful new outfit now thanks to this

As am I :slight_smile:

Although I only lost one heart after all!

then you are a much better player than me - I had to go back to get more hearts multiple times

Must have been luck, I wasn’t getting past the first floor prior to having the additional three hearts.
I guess when the pressure was off it was easier to plow through.

Well I’ve managed to do the dark side bosses after that nice tip. Did a few moons there, went back and did a load in the Sand Kingdom.

I have to be honest though I am struggling to be arsed to carry on much. I’d quite like to unlock the last level though. I think it’s a combination of being posy credits, revisiting worlds I’ve been to already and the fact that the moons do get quite formulaic. There are a few kingdoms I genuinely enjoyed that I might jump to but a lot I’m quite meh.

There does seem like an unhealthy obsession with video games for people to not just move on when they feel done with a game. It’s probably largely due to the price or the feeling of missing out but I’ve enjoyed games way more once I learnt to stop playing when it started to feel like a chore to play. Allowed me to finish more games I truly loved as a result.

Put the game, move onto something new (Battle Chef Brigade)

That’s the plan, I won’t just carry on for the sake of it. I imagine I’ll pick it up occasionally for short bursts. I think I’m just surprised, I wanted to get everything in botw, not bothered here.

The issue for me is finding the bloody things or in a couple of cases working out what the hell I’m supposed to do. Still working through and enjoying mopping up the bulk, but I can see me leaving the last 50 or so because I’m too thick to find them/work them out.

I still have not felt the urge to return to this game and I know that this is largely due to the lure of Zelda, which I’m almost done with, but it just didn’t feel ‘right’ to me

I’ve loved reading this thread though, and seeing the joy people are getting from playing this, so I’m not here to bring a downer or argue it is not a quality game but I just don’t think it’s ever going to do an awful lot for me and I don’t really want to pick through why without it seeming like I’m pissing on other people’s parades. That’s the best way I can put it, however ungrammatical it may be.

1 Like