Mark Lanegan and his projects

Very sad to hear this last night - he was a great musician. The records with Isobel Campbell were outstanding - very much the new Nancy and Lee at the time.

1 Like

An isolated clip of 2:40-2:58 (complete gut puncher) has been doing the rounds on social media but this whole cover is great.

6 Likes

Hadnt listened to him much at all but could still identify his voice straight away, one of the most inimitable of all time probably

RIP

Ah, yeah, I saw this tour too when he played Reading. Had forgotten about that. Just stuck Bubblegum on. Unsure if Iā€™ve ever listened to it before.

1 Like

Even his ā€˜throwawayā€™ collaborations were great.
Hereā€™s a video of Mark, Ben Gibbard, Duff Mcagan and Isaac Brock all remotely contributing to a cover of The Highwayman for a guitar podcast to raise money for a childrens charity.
He absolutely smashes the Johnny Cash part, a really poignant line, and even more relevant for how he describes being in awe of Cash when he opened a show for him in his book.

4 Likes

Was probably losing it at the band tbf. He very much hated his bandmates and the ST output by all accounts.

Markā€™s recording of it only kinda exists because Kurt wanted to do an album with Mark and thatā€™s where Marks version came from and he used it on The Winding Sheet after his and Kurts record never worked out. Kurt was always full of nothing but encouragement and friendship to Mark going by the book. Probably the main catalyst for Mark having a long and successful career really.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t know he co-produced Jamboree by Beat Happening with Steve Fisk, what a guy

1 Like

Revisiting the collaboration with Skeleton Joe from last year. The lyrics sound very ominous now.

Iā€™m all thatā€™s bent, Iā€™m all thatā€™s aged
Iā€™ve been the lucky one for many long years
but now I have a debt to pay
before I leave from here, before I leave from here

What I had to give the world holds no value anymore
I will leave this ugly place through the basement door
Yes I will leave this dismal place out through the basement door
When I leave this place it will be through the basement door
Dont grieve for me love I will not be scared

2 Likes

Gutted

2 Likes

I went to that gig. Supported by Seaweed. Great gig.

1 Like

Screaming Saplings. Shared by Van Conner on FB

14 Likes

:cry:

Poor old Vedder must have had to do this so many times.

10 Likes

Went to the Glasgow one of this on same tourā€¦ both bands were amazingā€¦ I still remember it and how he held the crowd despite barely moving

Totally. He was so captivating to watch.

Dollar Bill, just an all time classic (always preferred Sweet Oblivion to Dust, but perhaps thatā€™s just me). RIP Mark, heavenā€™s bars are going to appreciate your company.

3 Likes

Pretty must just eddie and mark arm (who turned 60 a couple of says ago) left of the original grunge front men isnt it. Horrible.

Me too :slight_smile:

Depends on how far you go back I guess. Melvins still going for example.

A few weeks ago, I had a day to myself, took a walk and found myself in a bookshop. There was one copy of Laneganā€™s Devil in a Coma (which I hadnā€™t heard about) - I had a quick flick through and had to pick it up. I hadnā€™t thought of him nor listened to him for a while. I read it all that evening and listened to his music all night, for the first time in a while. A week later, my mum bought me the same book for my birthday. Another coincidence now strikes as he passes. Devil in a Coma makes it clear that he is quite a tortured soul but itā€™s a dark, beguiling book - just like the man himself. Thereā€™s instances of real poetry, of understanding, of dreamscapes and meditations on death. Itā€™s a dark book but itā€™s slim, you really get sucked into his consciousness. Iā€™m glad I read it and would recommend it to everyone.

Very, very sad news. Screaming Trees were always my grunge band of choice when I was growing up and I return to Lanegan every couple of years, really grown up with him. He was still so collaborative and making amazing music. He quietly built one of the best body of works of any contemporary singer - and what a voice!

6 Likes

Me too. I always found Dust a little bit more boring, I think? It has some good tracks, but Sweet Oblivion just bangs track after track.

2 Likes