Marrakesh and the surrounding areas

I’m going to Morocco for 5 nights in Feb, flying to and from Marrakesh. Since I’ve booked flights I’ve been thinking I’d like to explore more than just Marrakesh and would love to travel to Fez or just see more of the country. Is there anyone knowledgeable who can give me advice on both how to travel from one place to the other, and whether it’s worth cramming in a lot of travelling up and down the country during the 5/6 days, or are there places just as visit-worthy closer to Marrakesh that might make it a slightly more stress-free trip? Thanks in advance

Essaouira is worth a visit, you can get a bus there from Marrakesh. I’ve not been anywhere else in Morocco.

1 Like

When we went to Marrakesh we went on an organised trip up to the High Atlas Mountains which was great - taxi most of the way and then donkeys up to a fabulous castle where we had lunch. Still remember it fifteen years later.

1 Like

When I was in Marrakesh, the £3 a night hotel we stayed in organised trips to Merzouga Desert. We stayed on night in a really nice hotel in Dades Gorge, before camping out in the desert dunes on the second night. Was woken up by the greatest donkey ever in the middle of the night to be treated to the greatest sky view I’ve ever seen.

Old city of Fez is nice, and as mentioned, Essaouira is a nice relaxing seaside town.

1 Like

Just got back from Morocco, having spent 2 weeks there.

If you’re only going for 5 nights you won’t have time to visit Fes, so personally I’d stick to Marrakesh and the surrounding area. You don’t need more than 2 maybe 3 days to do Marrakesh, so maybe a couple of day trips to Ouzoud falls and/or Atlas Mountains, 1 night in Essaouira etc

1 Like