Marvel Films Thread (Spoilers for whatever the latest thing is please)

I’ve just chosen Spider-Man

1 Like

It’ll be around for weeks, watch it after Xmas/New Year maybe

I loved that so so so SO much.

I think Garfield saving MJ might be one of the most perfect little grace notes I’ve seen in a film in a really very long time.

I cried an awful lot. Good tears, bad tears and good tears and bad tears. Will be going again tomorrow I think.

6 Likes

Probably the best MCU film and the 3rd or 4th best Spider-Man film

2 Likes

Ok have to splurge down some random No Way Home thoughts because I can’t stop thinking about it:

I felt pure childhood joy for basically the entire second half of this. For me this was one of the most comic book feeling MCU films to date, in a way that even the Avengers never really managed for me. Spider-Man is my absolute favourite hero, and watching this I felt transplanted back to being a kid, picking up my first issue of Spider-Man in WH Smith. It was the Identity Crisis saga, and I was so absorbed in this great character, and overwhelmed by this living world that had so much going on I didn’t understand.

It was so cool that there were all these other characters and past events people would refer to. I used to read my Spider-Man ultimate guide cover to cover all the time, and watching this it felt a bit like that book come to life. Loads of old villains and other Spider-Men coming together sounds a bit silly as a film, but in the context of decades of their stories, it really does make perfect sense. The moment the three of them started working as a team I was just beaming ear to ear.

Normally I really hate pure fan service, but this really rose above that. I think in part because it managed to feel a bit like a combined sequel to the Maguire and Garfield films, rather than just a cash-in. I didn’t expect them to be in a good chunk of the film and have so much time for interaction. SO many little bits of resolution dotted throughout! Maguire and his MJ are still together! He got to speak to Octavius, Garfield found redemption for Gwen! Norman saying the scientist line was maybe a touch too far but even that raised a smile with me.

Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker. Definitely the closest to the comics, though Maguire is probably still my favourite just for the pure nostalgia of the Raimi trilogy. He really lands the huge emotional beats, as do all the other actors. There were so many great moving scenes in this (May dying, Garfield redemption, Maguire catching the glider, not saying anything to MJ). I teared up a couple of times. Rest of the cast is brilliant too, such a joy to have a bit more demented Norman Osborn in my life again.

I still don’t think Jon Watts is a remarkable director and the scene with the spider-sense in Happy’s apartment was really the exception that proved the rule for me. A little bit of inventiveness stands out so much in these against other scenes compared to Raimi trilogy where it’s just one after the other.

They made quite a big deal at the time about Spider-Man: Homecoming not being an origin story, but this really was a Spidey origin film. Looking forward to how they take things forward in the more traditional set up (broke, alone, simpler suit, anonymous).

Humour in this is just really spot on throughout. Absolutely perfectly balanced and also quite gentle. Electro and Sandman realising they’d both fallen in to things was probably my favourite gag but so many good other bits stand out (Maguire saying he’s been stabbed loads baha, the ‘my back!’ reference and Garfield clicking it for him)

The mirror universe is so damn cool, gonna have to rewatch Doctor Strange 1 before the sequel, even though I can’t stand his character and his stupid goatee.

Honestly I think this is my favourite film of the year. It’s not the best film but it’s my favourite. Arguably it wouldn’t be the film it is without the Raimi ones originally but it stands tall with the first two Raimis and Spider-Verse as the best of the bunch. I can’t wait to see it again.

11 Likes

Quite funny that with all the exciting multiverse happenings the first part of the film that got me really excited was hearing I Zimbra.

5 Likes

As someone who CBA with Marvel films (but has watched most of them in spite of this, just… Because), and hasn’t watched any Spiderman films apart from the Tobey Maguire ones, is this a film I would enjoy?

(Also I’ve read all the Spoiler tag stuff ITT)

Yes I dont think youd need to be totally up on all things Marvel to enjoy but if you like Spiderman in general and the Maguire/Raimi movvies I reckon you’d enjoy the first 2 Tom Holland Spiderman movies too.
Maybe read/watch a quick primer on Spiderman and Dr Strange in MCU if you fancy?

I get the basic principle of Doctor Strange as a character, I just find Cumbernauld reaaally irritating. He just strong “I’m the cleverest boy in class and daddy’s bought me a Lamy pen” vibes, but in adult form.

I… Will probably just end up streaming this one at some point, and then regret not seeing it at the cinema.

1 Like

Some of my fave bits are when he’s made to look like a prat.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that they made one huge mistake in No Way Home and if they had done it the way they should have the movie would have been infinitely better…

Yes, they should have had this guy as Peters landlord at the end!

7 Likes

Ok I really want to see it, so as long as my post-gig PCR comes back neg :pray:, the we’ll go to see it tomorrow at Rheged. Big IMAX screen and they’re bigging up their ventilation creds on the socials so should be safe.

1 Like

No way

3 Likes

Got the timing perfect yesterday going to a local cinema at 10am before the schools broke up and had about 7 people there. Also only £4.

5 Likes

There was a Liquid Liquid track in there too near the start - would have been great if they’d kept up a running theme of NY post-punk stuff for the whole thing but they binned it off pretty early, which is a shame.

2 Likes

Thought this was brilliant, really fun, big wide smile stuff. Didn’t feel anywhere near its runtime. Captured the comedic and tragic parts well without much contrast. Could see the memeification parts grating a little on future rewarches.

Really appreciate how the main trio and the Spider-men just care for each other the plot doesn’t waste time with pretend fractures. Feel the chemistry behind the 3 works really well.

That Dr Strange trailer looked brilliant Shuma Gorath! Ms America Chavez! Evil Strange! Wish Cumberbatch wasn’t in it, imagine how good those films could have been with Joaquin Pheonix.

Care to explain why? Not seen ASM1 or 2. I guess his MJ dies in a similar way and this was a redemptive moment for that?

1 Like

Guessing Ned is going to get folded in with that. Maybe a way to introduce Miles too.

There is no MJ in the ASM universe, his love interest is Gwen Stacy. She fell in ASM2 and he tried to save her but webbed her too late and her head smacked against the floor.