Marvel Films Thread (Spoilers for whatever the latest thing is please)

While I get what you’re saying, because these are seemingly the same kids from WandaVision and the fact that it seems like those kids are in most other very normal iterations of the universe it just stuck out for me as a plot hole.

Given what I have read about Secret Wars etc. I am generally assuming that we’ll see some kind of alt-universe Wanda in the future who’s good.

I dislike this. It works (as in as much as anything can) in Rick and MOrty as a perpetual meta joke and deus ex machina, but in the Marvel series is kinda removes the jeopardy - like, Thanos kills half of everyone? OK. Why do I care about “this” Earth, when there is one exactly like it except everyone uses DVORAK keyboards?

Wandavision and Multiverse of Madness were done the wrong way round, the latter should have been first

I could never really care about people who use DVORAK keyboards. :wink:

Like I said, dunno if it’s the official Marvel way of looking at it or if there are only a limited number of universes or whatever but yeah, it does present that issue.

Think there’s basically an unlimited number.

Used best though when they bring in crazy stuff - eg in Young Avengers they go to an Earth that’s entirely Manhattan-ised, and it’s mainly an excuse for Jamie McKelvie to do some amazing landscape work. Or Jonathan Hickman’s Fantastic Four has the Council of Reeds, lots of Reed Richards who function as an antagonist.

2 Likes

There idea of incursions has started showing up though as of Strange 2 - that at least gives some temporary threat that @1101010 is looking for.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply I don’t see a threat. I don’t mind the Multiverse stuff at all, I just think it’s a problem if we have to handwave plotting stuff away as “it’s just the multiverse, move on”. I don’t even think that’s what DSATMOM is doing really, I think it’s just going with what is in WandaVision as a relatable dropping off point. As a ‘villain reason’ it’s all of a piece with Thanos going all, “Too many people is a problem, let’s kill half of them” and no one stopping once to try to reason with him: he’s mad so I’m not saying it would work either. But it’s a huge simplistic thing you can hang a bad guy’s motives off.

Here I guess the kids are really just a cypher for Wanda wanting to have happiness but for me it would have made more sense if she’d tried to bring Vision back from an alternative universe or whatever. Could have tied it into Gamora still being out there and reasoning that the universe hadn’t broken so why shouldn’t she do that?

or even tried to hook up with the new white Vision who may or may nor retain some of Visions memory?

I thought she didn’t know he was still around, it’s hard to recall.

Obviously they had to write the film so that it didn’t require you had ever watched WandaVision. Not sure what they’ll do with ol’ Whitey Vision. They might just have him pegged for TV stuff only, maybe for the Monica Rambeau series?

Hmm.
Can see into multiverses but cant see whats going on around her eh?
Its going to be interesting to see how the telly stuff runs into movies and how they balance that.
Watched Ms Marvel this past week for example and given she’s in ‘The Marvels’ it’d be odd not to have seen the show first?

Watching a lot of the films out of order with my daughter has proved they’re pretty good at a quick recap to get people up to speed on stuff so I doubt it’ll be a problem. At a guess the film will use the post-credits thing from Ms Marvel in reverse: by having us with Danvers as she is sucked through and staying with her, she can quickly establish who the person is whose room she’s entered giving some background and meanwhile Kamala is presumably suddenly surrounded by others and has to explain herself.

2 Likes

Ms. Marvel was pretty good eh?

5 Likes

Yeah I definitely enjoyed it. I think it had a good finalé which helped to mitigate some of the wobbles mid-season.

1 Like

The New York bits were good, the Karachi bits less so

Aye lost its focus a wee bit.
Thought how it covered partition etc was well done though.

1 Like

There was some good stuff there, it was just really jarring how it went from over protective/controlling parents in NYC to “sure, go off unsupervised with this boy you’ve just met in a country you’ve never been to” as soon as they got to Pakistan

1 Like

Calling it now (though I hope I’m wrong, I just think it’s coming at the end of a hyper busy film summer and doesn’t have the same hook as Ant-Man or GOTG3 will), The Marvels will be the MCU’s first real box office dud and the most annoying people on the internet are going to be unbearable about it

They will be even if it’s good.

2 Likes

Finally watched Black Panther 2 now it’s on Disney+. Did anyone else think it wasn’t very good?

Just seemed like loads of people giving loud speeches and it was massively too long. Also the Talokan symbol just reminded me of Power Rangers which I couldn’t stop seeing.

power rangers 90s GIF

5 Likes