Marvel Films Thread

Just seen in the replies that they even do a hotel room and a gun in green screen

2 Likes

A good and funny tweet

7 Likes

What

I remember a few years back (actually probably closer to 10 years :grimacing: ) when it was pointed out that MCU films (and indeed pretty much any film in the genre like Fast and Furious) had so much CGI work they could actually have been submitted for the best animated feature at the Oscars.

This is quite something.

(Without knowing the background I guess this might just be a pickup shot and doing this was a lot easier than returning to a location and finding the exact prop gun.)

1 Like
  • Black Widow: July 9, 2021
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: Septermber 3, 2021
  • Eternals: November 5, 2021
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home: December 17, 2021
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: March 25, 2022
  • Thor: Love and Thunder: May 6, 2022
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: July 8, 2022
  • The Marvels: November 11, 2022
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: February 17, 2023
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: May 5, 2033
  • Fantastic Four: TBD
3 Likes

I think it’s pure economics

A hotel room scene on a typical studio blockbuster wouldn’t be shot on location unless there is a very good reason - it would be shot on a set in a studio

Now they can choose - shall we spend x amount of money to have set people build a set and pick out props or shall we green screen it and use a generic “hotel room “ background for y cost

For scenes with lots of physical props, multiple actors, camera angles etc I expect they might chose to still go for x, but if it’s a simple filler scene then it’s just quicker and cheaper to go for y and no one can tell the difference

1 Like

Also far more “location” shots in film and tv are green screen then you realise these days. It’s just we are conditioned to only look for the “joins” on sci fi and action films - if it’s a political thriller it never really occurs to you that instead of shooting on location at a Washington landmark they are using green screen

1 Like

I remember this video going around over ten years ago…

1 Like

Oh sure that too. The fun bit seems the extra crazy part though.

1 Like

2033? Typo?

2 Likes

Can’t wait for Mrs Maisel to join the MCU

Marvels

2 Likes

io9 copy paste so aye

1 Like

I very much don’t get this. Maybe it lands better if you’ve read Ms Marvel comics or something? To me it just feels very bad 60s kids’ TV shows.

Realised my phone corrected ‘gun’ to ‘fun’ making this seem quite vague. Sorry @Grievoustim

1 Like

Come on and sing along!
All night long, all night

2 Likes

Loki moved forward all of two days

1 Like

watching The Incredible Hulk for the first time (always annoyed me that they recast Norton so pretended it didn’t exist) and seeing Phil Dunphy gave me a brainwave.

It’s a very good move for me. I am the only one in the family interested in these shows so I traditionally either have to hope to grab an hour during the weekend when everyone’s out or I have to wait until a lunch hour the next week. Now my Thursday lunch hour will be well used :smiley: