Marvel Films Thread (Spoilers for whatever the latest thing is please)

I guess there were some people who worried it might not be good?

More likely spoilers I would think, they’ve done the same with the Star Wars films.

Oh sorry, I meant more that you can see the reactions are good but I’m not sure if anyone was that concerned they might be negative, I wasn’t talking about the embargoes. I think with these films it’s either just hype, or it’s deliberate because of the fact studios traditionally did that when films were shit so Disney have sort of weaponised it to make sure fans will go and see the film anyway and not care about reviews.

Thie first shit MCU film will be Ant Man 2, I reckon.

I think it’ll struggle to be first in an array of films that includes Thor: The Dark World. That seems to be the one most MCU fans agree on being of pretty much zero merit although Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Age of Ultron all hang low it seems

2 Likes

Will be? More like was Iron Man 2

1 Like

I forgot the Dark World existed. That Alan Taylor should stick to directing GoT episodes, eh?

iron man 3 was shit as well. (worse?)

Rewatched this last weekend. It’s basically fine, just suffers where it has to set up like five different phase 3 films. Thor in his magic dreaming pool ffs

2 Likes

I’d lay the blame really with the Marvel team on this one but it also reflects what they were trying to do. Most of those sequels (IM3 for example) feel like they’re carrying the overall plot forward without bothering enough about having a proper film plot. Age of Ultron suffers on this too.

In hindsight Marvel should have probably broken out more other heroes at this point because it feels like the interest was there. Iron Man 2 would have been better replaced by a Black Widow film that featured IM. Thor 2 should have just been completely different… :smiley:

Well, Iron Man 2 had Black Widow being introduced, so they weren’t 100% sure on the success of the films. IM2 is the proper start of the new “type” of films beyond the minimal cameos, I guess? It’s like the moment they started ramping up. I’d say delete IM3 with Black Widow, but IM3 has quite a good villain pay off and is a lot better than IM2 and The Dark World.

2 Likes

Yeah ‘relative’ shit is the thing I guess. Marvel haven’t really put a foot wrong. Even The Dark World is likely easily rewatched, and often the second viewing smooths out the stuff that jarred.

Ultron just felt very busy to me but chiefly it isn’t a fave because the ending is just too much LOADS OF ROBOTS FIGHTING. I mean it was shit when George Lucas did it in Episodes I and II and it’s not a whole lot better just because Joss Whedon’s in charge.

Yeah I think IM3 is generally great until the finalĂŠ which is like my comments about Ultron above: just lots of robots fighting and a bit dull. IM2 just felt very messy for me with lots of duff little things that stopped me enjoying it.

I’ve seen 16 of the 18 movies and I think 3 were really excellent and 3 were really stodgy. The rest vary between the two but they’re mostly bubbling up so as film series averages go they’re doing really well. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen them all actually, most of them in the cinema. Let’s do this, then.

• Iron Man 8/10
  • The Incredible Hulk 7/10
  • Iron Man 2 6/10
  • Thor 8/10
  • Captain America: The First Avenger 8/10
  • Avengers Assemble 9/10
  • Iron Man 3 7/10
  • Thor: The Dark World 5/10
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9/10
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 8/10
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron 7/10
  • Ant-Man 7/10
  • Captain America: Civil War 8/10
  • Doctor Strange 6/10
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 7/10
  • Spider-man: Homecoming 7/10
  • Thor: Ragnarok 9/10
  • Black Panther 9/10

We’re in agreement on the biggies except I marked Ragnarok down a point because I found it took a while for me to really get into it.

Also we pretty much agree on the stodgier stuff, TBH.

I haven’t seen Spider-Man or Ant-Man.

Both are good. Ant-man has a really good few set pieces and the way they play with “being small” is good, but is almost wasted on a pedestrian middle-movie. After Thor: Ragnarok, it makes mew think if they hadn’t been too chickenshit an Edgar Wright Ant-man would’ve been 10/10.

3 Likes

have you seen dr strange? fucking stinks

1 Like
  • Iron Man 7/10
  • The Incredible Hulk NOT SEEN
  • Iron Man 2 4/10
  • Thor 6/10
  • Captain America: The First Avenger 9/10
  • Avengers Assemble 9/10
  • Iron Man 3 6/10
  • Thor: The Dark World 2/10
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8/10