Marvel Films Thread (Spoilers for whatever the latest thing is please)

yeah agree with all of that. think it dropped off in the second half (as per usual) but yeah, overall miles better than s1

some issues I had with it

“I… can’t… move!!!” so cheesy, we can see yr paralysed m9, no need to tell us

I can buy tilda being driven to kill her mom (although they really laboured the lipstick reveal as if it wasn’t fucking obvious what happened) but why would she be upset about not getting the club? just suddenly transformed into an outright villain

as if they’d let darius’s mom watch shades’ confession anyway, but ESPECIALLY when they’re sending him back out with a wire. so fucking stupid

1 Like

Re: lipstick, yeah they even namechecked Game of Thrones at one point too!

i can get on board with this, but the rest ffs

1 Like

Rihanna is in the MCU?

I look forward to baffling memes telling me the MCU films were never previously very popular much as apparently Anne Hathaway was unattractive before she met her. :wink:

still only a couple of eps into LC2, need to get back into it. thought bad dr who was better than yer man kingpin, i kind of liked how JJ2 dragged itself out with all the family drama and the endless hot weather, you could really feel jess cracking up under the strain. punisher was fine but not the best, come on now

tbf i reckon i would prob have a higher opinion of it if i watched it again but who has time for that, right

1 Like

You don’t even dig Ennis’s Punisher work?

Just realised something about music on Luke Cage and the MCU - the Wu-Tang Clan exist here, Method Man turned up as himself in s1. Then Ghostface is playing a gig in s2.

That’s Ghostface ‘Tony Starks’ Killah. Is he still named that in the MCU? Like, does he get the alias from an actual person here, rather than a comic book character? That’d be like Inspectah Deck calling himself Elon Musks or something.

Is Ironman still Ironman? But it came out long before Tony Stark revealed himself as Iron Man (in 2008)! Can Ghostface predict the future in the MCU? What’s going on?

6 Likes

I really hope they’re revealed to be immortal time travelling kung fu monks who only permit themselves to interfere in the affairs of man via the medium of Wu bangers.

5 Likes

Shimmy shimmy ya, shimmy yam, shimmy yay
Loki’s invading, he brainwashed Hawk-ay

9 Likes

i was reading summat about jessica jones that talked about her using the “with great power comes great responsibility” line or riffs on it, which implies she not only knows who spiderman is, but also a little catchphrase that his uncle told him which hes never mentioned to anyone else :upside_down_face: anyway i think the fact that the avengers are sort of heavily marketed in-universe means that he can still call himself tony starks

1 Like

Really hope the rest of the Clan get in on this -

Cappamericadonna
Methord Man
VZA
Ol’ Dirty Antman etc

1 Like

Isn’t there a bit in Iron Man 2(?) where they’re on a private jet and there’s a Ghostface video playing on the TV?

The sequel is worse.

2 Likes

I rewatched most of them in the run up to infinity war, it was deffo the one that went down the most in my estimation. there’s a couple of decent gags in there but the effects haven’t really aged well at all.

still better than the second one and iron man 2 though

4 Likes

Yeah I think most origin stories struggle to be as compelling on rewatch but Thor was really light, almost like they’d been confused how to handle an origin story where the character starts off with powers.

I enjoyed it a lot. I think Avengers and Winter Soldier are the only two I’ve watched twice. Black Panther deserves another watch too.

1 Like

IMCOMING HOT TAKE - Iron Man 3 is actually pretty good.

3 Likes

That’s not a hot take, it’s well-liked on the whole. The only bad bits are a duff villain and completely wasting Rebecca Hall

2 Likes

remember it being shite

not gonna rewatch it

yeah agree with all of that. I dunno about you but when I originally watched it, it was with the expectation that it was going to be terrible so maybe the fact that it was in any way enjoyable at all led me to overrating it a bit in my memory. that robot thing blowing up a few shops in a small town feels really low stakes compared to the subsequent movies which probably doesn’t help when rewatching either

1 Like