Marvel Films Thread (Spoilers for whatever the latest thing is please)

Here are my Ant-Man thoughts when I watched it apparently very early this year.

I’ll spoiler (also Winter Soldier spoilers I guess)

Much as I like Rudd it seemed very very uninspiring plotwise, mostly just an exercise in enjoying seeing Rudd on screen and I like Michael Douglas a lot too. But the jokes felt pretty flat and you could tell they were coming a mile off. Having Cross as the really obvious bad guy is a bit much but then the flipside is that I felt like they were a bit too obvious with Robert Redford’s character in Winter Soldier, so there’s something to be said for going ‘zero pretence’ and just telegraphing it fully.

I wasn’t absolutely sold on him getting out of the Quantum Zone which I don’t think helped matters.

The only sour note for me was when he showed them his suit and the computer tech guy in the gang with the Eastern European sounding accent said “Gypsies” or maybe “Gypsy magic”. Highly dubious to characterise Romany people like that and also it seems a bit, “Oh what can this character say to make it clear he’s from Eastern Europe?!”

1 Like

really intrigued by how this will work

Mild spoilers from what is already out there

So it’s apparently set between Civil War and Infinity War

But I still think they’ll be more to it long term. Would be weird to launch a new phase with a totally standalone flashback film. Plus Marvel are all about franchises, they don’t really do one-offs.

1 Like

yeah this is the thing isnt it, its the first film of the next phase so its got to have summat to do with where they go in the future right? so for it to be set in the past is a bit weird? i mean everyone knows theres been pressure to make a black widow film for years but to only get round to it post-endgame is weird

Maybe it’s a set up for Florence Pugh’s character to replace Scarlett Johansson’s in the next team-up.

In the comics her character is a different morally questionable Black Widow. I could see a Thunderbolts film down the line or the next Avengers film having a Masters of Evil storyline.

https://twitter.com/tonywolfness/status/1194036697069236224

1 Like

no idea what any of this means :smiley:

1 Like

Haven’t really read any Black Widow comics, need to get on it. Hope someone like Brubaker did a run.

Really enjoyed their Daredevil stuff, I’ll try to pick it up at some point.

1 Like

Proper into Brubaker’s Image stuff right now, what of his Marvel stuff is worth a look?

You didn’t come off as patronising at all.

1 Like

His Captain America run is pretty renowned it does get broken up a bit by events. I think the only other Marvel thing I read by him was his X-Men run, which didn’t really suit him.

Loved Fatale and I’ve got ‘Kill or be Killed’ lined up. I’d check out the earlier stuff he did with Phillips, Sleeper, Criminal and Incognito if you haven’t.

Read any of the new Hickman X-men stuff?

Aye, only got through House of X/Powers of X but it’s one of the best Marvel comics I’ve ever read. Properly, properly out there.

1 Like

Kill or Be Killed is great. I got a random volume of Criminal in an Oxfam a while back, thought it was great. Just read the first volume of Fatale and enjoyed it a lot.

Eyeing up the full collection of The Fade Out cos I love me a bit of golden era Hollywood noir.

3 Likes

Generally stay away from Marvel events but i really enjoyed Infinity (despite struggling to follow bits of it). He managed to keep so many plates spinning with it, I was really impressed.

1 Like

Definitely, he came back into the fold after doing independent stuff. He kind of makes it hard to follow up for the next writer but I love how he comes in with these giant bombastic ideas. Would like him to take over all the various Marvel space stories and get pretty out there with it.

1 Like

Just to say this Hickman X Men chat has got me ridiculously pumped to read it, thanks guys.

2 Likes

Just saw this quote about ‘The Irishman’

Sheeran is a part that De Niro has reportedly wanted to play since Brandt’s book came to his attention over a decade ago. The actor has been nursing it along ever since, finally getting Netflix to put up a reported $160 million. This will be Scorsese’s most expensive film ever, in part because of the extensive digital manipulation required to allow De Niro, who turns 76 this month, to play Sheeran from his prime hoodlum years until his death at age 83.

And I thought to myself, Marty, Marty, Marty…do you think they developed and honed digital tech like that on the back of gangster movies?

5 Likes