Marx's Capital

I’m going to be doing a slow reading of Marx’s Capital, and you’re all invited. I expect it to take about a year to complete. Everyone is welcome to join in. I’ll post other relevant sources and points of discussion as and when they arise. Feel free to lurk or dip in and out.

I’m not a scholar of Marx or Marxism, and haven’t read Capital in its entirety, so this will be a lot of new material for me.

Warning: this will be slow and sporadic and poorly organised.

20 Likes

I’ll try and keep up myself!

2 Likes

1 Like

oo count me in!

1 Like

Oh I’m definitely up for this! Been meaning to read it for ages. Have read the Communist Manifesto a couple of times and didn’t get much from it.

1 Like

Thought this meant you’d be reading it out loud to us. Can you do that?

14 Likes

I’m in.

1 Like

Haven’t listened to this but bookmarked it a while ago, podcast where David Harvey goes through it chapter by chapter

1 Like

This is a really nice idea! I can’t usually keep up with reading groups because my ADHD means I read slow, but I reckon I can manage a book in the space of one year

1 Like

Hope we also get to talk about The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte at some point, that’s also very good.

1 Like

To keep it as organised and accessible as possible, I think we’ll have the chat about the process itself and more general questions etc. in this thread.

We’ll then have separate threads for volumes and chapters.

1 Like

In like LenIN

1 Like

I suggest just having a read of the various prefaces/afterwords first. It gives an idea of:

• Some historical context, including who his collaborators and interlocutors were
  • Marx’s writing style - he acknowledges that the first part is pretty dense and might not make immediate sense! Some of the writing is really great though - I’ve highlighted a few nice phrases.
  • some of the concepts and of his “dialectical” method (the Afterword to the 2nd German edition) - I don’t understand all here and am taking note. I don’t think we need to go off an read Hegel, but note it down as something potentially perplexing / to possible come back to or seek secondary sources on.
  • what Marx sees the purpose of this text to be. I think the preface to the French edition is speaking to us! “Dear Citizen, I applaud your idea of publishing the translation of “Das Kapital” as a serial. In this form the book will be more accessible to the working class, a consideration which to me outweighs everything else.”

I should also say, there are different translations. So, for example, in the edition linked to above, sometimes we are using “landlords” where in other editions it would be translated as “landowners”.

really good place to start

1 Like

Id love to do this but my own reading plans mean I won’t be able to :expressionless: my friend read it and told me out hometown is mentioned in it for it’s horrifying child labour practices

1 Like

Will be following this closely and will look to do the read along too. Hope I’m clever enough to understand most of it but will ask any questions here.

1 Like

I’ve read it (mostly skimming) and tbh, it goes on a bit. But I’m sure this will be fun!

my abiding memory from falling to read this when i was younger:

he sure talks about linen a lot.

1 Like