Massive Ambitious A-Star Albums

I’m really in the mood for some grandiose self-contained STATEMENT albums. If it doesn’t have a huge budget, it doesn’t count. If it wasn’t an agonised-over vision quest for the artist in question, it doesn’t count.

The kind of things I’m thinking of are: Loveless by MBV or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye. Albums where the BIG ambition almost threatens to overwhelm the music itself. Very happy for them to be commercial failures but they shouldn’t be shit (eg, Be Here Now).

Mellon Collie checks off all of those boxes.

14 Likes

so many aint there
Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
Highway 61 - Dylan
Velvet Underground and Nico
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
David Comes to Life - Fucked Up
Black Sabbath
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Public Enemy - Nation of Millions
Kendrick - Pimp a Butterfly
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Shape of Jazz to come - Ornette Coleman

Not sure I’ve fully understood the concept but all these albums are 10/10 because they aimed huge in their statements and changed the shape of music forever

3 Likes

Mansun’s Six is ambitious and A Star, but expensive?

6 Likes

^This.

2 Likes

Expensive is more instructive than set in stone - I guess I just mean agonised over and BIG.

Wipers records too - is this real? and youth of america just shot to be as intricate and tight a punk band could be and got damn close to perfection

Not expansive enough for the OP. Too concise, not sprawling enough. (I know Youth Of America has longer songs but they feel incredibly stripped back and monochromatic.)

Titus Andronicus’s The Monitor (the safe pick) and The Most Lamentable Tragedy (the more controversial pick, but fits everything you wrote even better).

10 Likes

Disintegration by The Cure count?

3 Likes

Both excellent choices.

4 Likes

Fuck, just realised that The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads fits this remit.

13 Likes

I believe Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space fits the bill well. Let It Come Down would too taken if in isolation, but it’s more a culmination of everything Pierce started on LAGWAFIS.

9 Likes

M83 - Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Fucked Up - Dose Your Dreams (better than David Comes to Life IMO)
Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter- Joni Mitchell
Go Farther in Lightness- Gang of Youths

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Sly and the Family Stone - There’s a Riot Goin On

it’s objective fact DCTL is more ambitious than dose, and more a* because of it

2 Likes

Titus andronicus do the mixing heartland traditional rock with the scrap and sinew of real life really well, and the desperation of settling, absolutely agree. It’s basically what all guitar bands in 2020 should be doing.

2 Likes

Age of Adz. It’s massive, ambitious, A*, and in Impossible Soul it has its own mini album within itself.

13 Likes

ccb!!!

2 Likes

Hey Ruffers! (Or Rudders, as my autocorrect calls you)

2 Likes