Masters 2020 ⛳

It’s here. It’s November, but it’s here. There might not be any spectators but that at least allows us to play NoFansSoSad, the game where you drink when someone on commentary bemoans the lack of fans in attendance. Be careful, that’s all I’ll say.

In actual golf terms, man mountain Bryson DeChambeau is favourite. You’ve probably heard about his transformation over the lockdown, and if you haven’t you’ll be hearing plenty over the next few days. Commentator and player reactions have veered between begrudging respect, outright panic, barely concealed disgust and all points in between. None of it matters to him, his confidence is absolutely rock solid and I think he might win. Long driving is hugely rewarded at Augusta, accuracy isn’t so important off the tee, and that plays into his hands. His putting is also seriously under-rated.

Tiger is the defending champ and has not been playing… at all, really. He is in no sort of form but is 40/1 due to the nostalgia vote, but if he wins I will eat my DiS issue baseball hat. I think he’ll suffer most with no crowd, they carry him around normally. We’ll see plenty of him though, and fair enough I guess.

The big boys are all in form and it’s reflected in the betting. DJ, Rahm and Justin Thomas are 1, 2 and 3 in the world and 2, 3 and 4 in the betting. I can’t see any likely winners this year outside of these 4 and Bryson. They’re too good for everyone else if they play well. I guess Wolff at 30/1 is a half decent shout, and Rickie is always in contention for a while (60/1) before he goes off the rails. Koepka is coming back from injury but he’s always dangerous. He’s 16/1 and has big game mentality.

Lots of Rory chat from the experts but I give him roughly no chance. He’s just not played well all year. No Sergio which is a shame, but we’ve got the Masters so no complaining.

My bets: lost all my gambling winnings on Trump insurance bets, so small stakes this week.
Bryson - £2.50 ew
DJ - £2.50 ew
Koepka - £1 ew

4 Likes

Traditionally put £5 ew on Justin Rose for every major but can someone tell me why he’s all the way out at 55/1?

He’s not played much, and hasn’t played well when he has. He’d need to pull a result from nowhere, he’s got the talent to do it but there’s so many good players to get past.

1 Like

golf is the one sport vastly improved by no spectators

3 Likes

Worth doing each way (its 10 places)?

1 Like

Doubt it personally, but you’ll probably not get the chance to bet on him at such long odds again.

1 Like

Better late than never! Thought someone else might do one by now.

Yup I’m pumped up. Final tournament of our fantasy golf season, even with the pandemic its been a fun year. Don’t know why but I have sneaking suspicion that Phil will be in the mix come Sunday. Also, looks like Brooks Koepka will be playing, thought he said he was taking the rest of the year off.

Buddy has a Masters party on the Saturday every year, this year no different. So very looking forward to it indeed.

Feels weird not to be considering an all-nighter at my pal’s house for this. Will keep an eye on the scores but it’s very odd having it at this time of the year.

Bet on Adam Scott and Cameron Something

Very tempting. Might get a few cans in.

Yes!!!

Peter Alliss (89) is still going to be commentating for the BBC from home. Best of luck, bbc viewers.

1 Like

£5 on my boy Rickie

1 Like

Can’t see past Finau for an e/w bet, considering his numbers and likely course set-up. Winning it a big ask but will be surprised if he doesn’t place.

Looking forward to seeing Bryson taking it on, I’m sure he will be up there but can’t back him at those odds?

Would love to see Hatton or Fleetwood win it.

Can’t wait!

yeah, I was thinking about stumping up for a pass on Sunday, but I’ll be distracted by the NFL. Will try and avoid the result then watch the highlights on monday morning.

I’m sure my mate at the fbi will be trawling for people trying to broadcast this illicitly, if anyone is interested in his research i can ask.

1 Like