May 2018 film discussion thread

Robocop is bloody brilliant. Always had a bit of a block on it because it freaked me out as a kid. But the direction! The squibs, the glorious squibs! And it’s got two of the best from Twin Peaks in it as well!

Over the last couple days I’ve also watched Miss Hokusai, An, and Zoology. All great at what they do.

1 Like

anyone else seen Zama, the new lucrecia martel thing? I thought it was really good. the guy next to me drank a beer and fell asleep and started snoring in the first 30 minutes.

Saw it at the film festival. Between you and the sleeping guy next to you, I’m somewhere between the two.

3 Likes

The Breadwinner - fantastic. The Taliban are a bunch of dicks.

Best new release in May

• Lean on Pete
  • Mary and the Witch’s Flower
  • Tully
  • Revenge
  • Deadpool 2
  • Jeune Femme
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • The Breadwinner
  • Zama
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

watched Prisoners. don’t like Hugh Jackman

Oh god

https://twitter.com/TalkFilmSoc/status/1001181514090954752

Ha ha ha ha ha, man he’s such a shit director.

1 Like

This fills me with so much dread! Can you imagine just how fucking humourless this combination will be?!

1 Like

Who asked for this? Whom?

1 Like

Ayn Rand fans probably :frowning:

To be fair, someone’s done their homework: the venn diagram of Zach Snyder fans and Ayn Rand fans is probably a circle.

1 Like

also today watched THE AWFUL TRUTH (enjoyed v much) and THe SPIDERS STRATAGEM (was okay)

For a moment I thought you meant that terrible Gerard Butler/Katherine Heigl film The Ugly Truth

Breaking In - Very silly. Features one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a very long time from Richard Cabral as “generic bandito bad guy”

Show Dogs - Not as good as it looks

Entebbe - Very surprised how much I enjoyed this given the very lukewarm reception. It was very functional in getting to the actual raid scene but the execution of the raid was stunning and elevated the scenes that led up to it. A lot of place setting that lives and dies by it’s pay off but it was well worth it. Worth a look which is not what I was expecting.

The Breadwinner - Yeah, this is very good but I didn’t fall for it as much as I should have done, the animation and the story-within-a-story kept me at arms length a bit. As with Persepolis (a trite but easy comparison to make) I would have preferred a live-action version…

nope but fun fact, i saw that and G-Force on the same day at the cinema. i was 19

There’s barely anything out in June by the look of it, Hereditary and the new film from the director of Winter’s Bone look to be about the only films of interest

Morbidly curious in My Friend Dahmer and the Sicario sequel but its a bit slim pickings, yes.

i chose ´the jazz ambassadors´, the straight to tv documentary. decided that´s allowed

I’m not sure what’s more suprising so far this year, DiSers liking Lady Bird or DiSers liking Tully