May politics thread, feat. EURO Elections & May Resigning at last

Ah, misread when you were going for there - assumed you were talking about longer term Lib Dem voters. My bad!

(Although I expect a lot of recent switcheroos are Tory voters by habit - many of the recent local elections were county councils or places Labour wouldn’t expect to do well)

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know how they couldn’t now. I mean being the main opposition party and not voting for an election isn’t a good look at the best of times, let alone presently for the reasons you state!

But who knows what the pitch will look like between now and whenever a GE will take place. The scenario I outline is a potentially bleak one, but it may never come to pass. I mean the received wisdom was that a variant of it would happen in 2017 right?

“Stop Boris” could give Labour a boost, too.

1 Like

Probably some were, but if this analysis is right about Labour switchers, the Tory profile is surely likely to be pretty much the reverse.

Most polling seems to suggest that if Labour went full remain, without having gone through the process of attempting to, and being seen to attempt to honour the referenum result, they’d lose significant vote share in marginal seats.

1 Like

Yeah and they’d be the only means to do so also (plus with additional domestic reform). I’d just fear for Labour’s Brexit position if you’ve got someone like Johnson frothing about just getting out on one side, with a Lib Dems (if they are actually being listened to again) saying “Bollocks To Brexit” on the other. Tough landscape.

1 Like

It would be tough, but FPTP and tactical (anti-Johnson) voting could see them home.

1 Like

Is there any analysis looking into what party split the Lib Dem refugees are coming from?

Anyone not feeling completely hopeless about everything political right now? If so, teach me your secret. I beg.

1 Like

Do not watch Years & Years, sent me well under

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/05/16/labour-and-tories-lose-majority-support-brexit-pro

1 Like

On a lighter note, there’s still people looking at the Tiggers and saying “Yes! THAT’S the answer to all our problems!”

Good to see how low people switching from Tory to Labour and vice versa is.

jess phillips actually spot on here

https://twitter.com/sima_kotecha/status/1130417820653752320?s=09

3 Likes

I reckon you’d have similar numbers for any EU elections. It’s a system that makes it much easier to vote for a smaller party. If anything, the fact that not so many Labour voters have switched to the Brexit party is an encouraging sign, imho.

Just had a reminder from work that Trump’s state visit is in like two weeks.

That’ll be a fun distraction from our slow dissolution!

“This too shall pass”

That’s all I got.

1 Like

Mays seen her arse that he wants Farage at the state dinner :grinning:

Can’t wait to see what the big orange lad has to say while he’s over here

According to the same poll, if I 've read the table correctly (in the pdf link with full results) only 7% of leave voters are planning to vote Labour in the Euros (13% in a GE) so there aren’t many Labour Leavers left to lose.