MAY the Association Football be with you ⚽ ⚽ ⚽ Goals & Polls

So, here we are at the sharp end of a cracking season, lets look at the runners & riders

:soccer: PREMIER LEAGUE

Liverpool FC & Manchester City FC, neck & neck with 2 games left.

With a single point and +4 GD the margin, any slip at this stage and it’s all over for the reds. Only Newcastle & Wolves stand in the way of a Merseyside record points haul of 97 but it may not be enough as Leicester & Watford - with both games at the Etihad - are all that stands between Pep & glory.

Champions?

• Manchester City
  • Liverpool
0 voters

A 4-way race for 3rd & 4th has somewhat stalled over the last few weeks as the bald men all decide they do not want the comb and all permutations are still possible

3rd & 4th?

• Tottenham
  • Chelsea
  • Arsenal
  • Manchester United
0 voters

5th & 6th

• Tottenham
  • Chelsea
  • Arsenal
  • Manchester United
0 voters

At the bottom end of the PL Fulham & Huddersfield are already relegated leaving Brighton & Cardiff desperate to avoid the drop

Relegated?

• Brighton & Hove Albion
  • Cardiff City
0 voters

:soccer: CHAMPIONSHIP

Congratulations to Norwich & Sheffield Utd* on their promotions (*apart from Ched Evans of course - I really, really hope the club aren’t stupid enough to recall him from his loan at Fleetwood in order to make PL appearances next season)

With one match to go Leeds, West Brom & Villa are guaranteed play-off places with Derby, Middlesborough & Bristol City all looking to fill that last play-off spot and go into the Wembley lottery for the TV Rights trophy

Promoted?

• Leeds
  • West Brom
  • Villa
  • Derby
  • Boro
  • Bristol City
0 voters

At the foot of the Champos it’s already all decided with Ipswich, Bolton & Rotherham all going down

:soccer: LEAGUE ONE

Luton & Barnsley already up but with both on 91 points today will decide who is crowned league champions with Luton at home to Oxford United & Barnsley away at Bristol Rovers

Champions?

• Luton
  • Barnsley
0 voters

Portsmouth, Sunderland & Charlton take the first 3 play off spots with the 4th a battle between Doncaster & Peterborough

Who’s going up?

• Portsmouth
  • Sunderland
  • Charlton
  • Doncaster
  • Peterborough
0 voters

Much more complicated at the bottom of league one; Bradford already down but any 3 of Scunthorpe, Walsall, Plymouth, Southend, Wimbledon & Wycombe* could follow them (mathematically possible but goal difference looks to have Wycombe safe)

Going down?

• Scunthorpe
  • Walsall
  • Plymouth
  • Southend
  • Wimbledon
  • Wycombe
0 voters

:soccer: LEAGUE TWO

Lincoln City clear champions but there’s still MUCH to play for in today’s final game - two automatic promotion spots and play off places all yet to be decided, it’s even possible that 11th placed Stevenage could make the final play off spot

EDIT:

Thankyou @safebruv

Which three are going up with Lincoln?

• Bury
  • Mansfield
  • MK Dons
  • Forest Green
  • Tranmere
  • Newport
  • Exeter
  • Colchester
  • Carlisle
  • Stevenage
0 voters

A potentially very sad prospect at the foot of League Two. With Yeovil already relegated back to the ‘non-league’ leagues we see Notts County - the world’s oldest football club - staring the prospect of the long drop square in the face. Anything less than a win today away at Swindon Town will see them crash out, while Macclesfield only need a point today at home to Cambridge United to see them safe.

Who’s joining Yeovil in the long drop?

• Macclesfield Town
  • Notts County
0 voters

:soccer: :soccer: :soccer: EUROPE :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:

Semis in the CL
Tottenham trailing 1-0 to Ajax with a difficult away leg in Amsterdam on Tuesday
Liverpool with a seemingly insurmountable 3-0 deficit to overcome at Anfield on Tuesday

• Tottenham
  • Ajax
0 voters
  • Liverpool
  • Barcelona
0 voters

and who will win the mighty Gazprom Cup?

• Tottenham
  • Ajax
  • Liverpool
  • Barcelona
0 voters

Meanwhile, in the Europa League;
Arsenal take a 3-1 lead to Valencia & Chelsea bring a valuable away goal back from Frankfurt.
Will it be an all London final with both teams fans travelling checks notes …3000 miles to Baku ?

• Arsenal
  • Valencia
0 voters
  • Chelsea
  • Eintracht Frankfurt
0 voters

and who will win the Gazprom-Cup-Qualification Cup?

• Arsenal
  • Valencia
  • Chelsea
  • Frankfurt
0 voters

:soccer: FA CUP :soccer:

The world’s oldest trophy. Can there be a Cupset?

• Manchester City
  • Watford
0 voters

So, with the season drawing to a close perhaps it’s time to reflect on your club’s performance. Here’s a handy guide;

Club:
General appraisal;
Favourite player(s);
Areas that need improvement/players you’d like to buy;
Score out of 10;
Season highlights & notables from other clubs

I’ll leave you with my personal player of the season, none other than Scottish hero, big Andrew ‘Andy’ Robertson

17 Likes

Mansfield v mk means that bury are already up

I figured I might make at least one of these slip ups

We play Scunthorpe. We’ve no manager and lost 5-1 to a team with nothing to play for last week. No anti-bants or anything, I just genuinely believe we will, and deserve to, get relegated.

Sorry it’s a ridiculously good post but I just thought it was funny to point it out :joy:

I’m a dick

no, it’s cool

OP likes always appreciated though :wink:

Might be going to the cup final. Anyone got a Watford scarf I can borrow

Plymouth Argyle
Started shite, well adrift at the bottom at Christmas, got a bit better, then shite again.
Best player: Lameiras has been less shite than the others.
Areas that need improvement: Football
Score out of 10: 0

3 Likes

Manchester United - started as well as could be expected in a Jose 3rd season. Think we need to sell the whole squad and change our whole set up to ever compete again

FC United - relegated and in debt for a ground that’s miles too good for us

1 Like

Brilliantly laid out thread. Top work!

6 Likes

Spurs to win today, beat Ajax and Sissoko to mark Messi out of the final

2 Likes

End of season rating kinda depends - guarantee top 4 today and it’s definitely at least a 8 considering no signings, stadium delay and everyone writing us off again.
Could obviously go up to like a 10 if we make the final.
Son and Sissoko have been players of the season, mad to think we’d actually be completely fucked without Sissoko.

Hope Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and Brighton win today/tomorrow and we get one of those wonderful last days where Sky try to invest some meaning in the race for seventh.

1 Like

thanks!

Yep, some of our teams will be wrapping up their season today of course but others of us still have a few, pretty big, games left. I figured the thread would be here until the end of May so any time really for an end-of-season appraisal. I’ll likely do mine on Wednesday once Leicester spank City on Monday & we put 4 past Barca on Tuesday …or something like that

1 Like

Great post!

Club: Liverpool
General appraisal; Wonderful. So proud. Many emotion.
Favourite player(s); Van Dijk has been the best, but also Robertson and, pre-Christmas, Joe Gomez.
Areas that need improvement/players you’d like to buy; A creative midfielder maybe? Another look at Fekir possibly - I don’t think Klopp trusts Shaqiri in the role and Lallana just can’t stay fit :slightly_frowning_face:.
Score out of 10; 10/10 - Such an incredible response to the disappointment of the CL final last season. Made up 24 points on arguably the best team in PL history and made the CL semi-finals again.
Season highlights & notables from other clubs Kepa. Warnock’s many touchline heart attacks. Too many to mention really. FOOTBALL.

4 Likes

For Villa, its been alright yeah

But really, its been fantastic since Smith came in (sorry @breakfast_t_england)

Its great to have players that care. That team that got relegated was so poisonous, so to have guys like Mings, Hourihane, Grealish , Hutton who love the club is refreshing.

Players of the season are Grealish (who has proved himself this season), McGinn (probably the bargain of the year in all leagues), Mings, Abraham. All have been fantastic

Moment of the season was either Huttons goal vs Birmingham or Grealishs after getting punches.

Goal of the season waa Adomahs worldy vs Leeds

1 Like

Remember the name Mark Travers!

4 Likes

Massive LOL at people saying Arsenal will not lose 2-0 away to Valencia when that’s 100% what’s going to happen.

Norwich could still lose the title tomorrow but hopefully Villa rest players :upside_down_face: