Medical questions

Nobody else will smell it- trust me. It’s only because of where the infection is that you smell it so bad (and also it affects your sense of smell too So that’s it’s heightened.)
I’d alternate between plain steam and menthol crystals steam- but the latter make my eyes run so I’m a bit of a wuss where they’re concerned. Also think they might be a wee bit aggravating sometimes.
An acute infection could have me like that for about 5 days to a week- with the eye and tooth pain and the bad smell and taste, and swim my head. Do you also have a fever? If it persists for a few more days I’d get. Second option because although doctors are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for sinus infections (or indeed any infections) sometimes it’s the only thing that would shift mine. You have my sympathies- it’s one of the most horrid things to experience physically (and mentally too as it distorts one of your main senses which is quite disorientating I find.)

1 Like

I was prescribed big ol’ metronidazole tablets for a particularly nasty one I had a few years ago. I was so, so sick, and I was really glad to be finally getting some care. Popped the tablets in my mouth and swallowed, and immediately vomited everywhere. This has no bearing on anything, just that it was a horrible experience.

1 Like

Mild fever, aye, not like a fluey fever where your head goes, but sort of floaty chills which aren’t pleasant.

Got the toothache aswell, and fronty headache, now quite a bit of ear cracking. Definitely doesn’t feel like a common cold.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I’m on immune suppressants and hate been stuck with sick people right next to me while it runs its course and they keep touching my stuff!

Yeah of course there’s a risk there and even more so for you. I guess my point was for the average person who gets public transport and opens doors etc etc you can’t really avoid colds, if you’re gonna get one you’re gonna get it. I see your worry though.

1 Like

There’s also the point that sick people in the office “have an adverse effect on productivity”; more prone to error, can’t work as fast, etc. And then everyone else gets sick and the problem compounds. That bit is really an issue in the US, because comparatively few people have enough paid time off to stay home when they are ill and you can be fired for not coming to work when you have pneumonia (no, really, this happened at a former workplace).
In conclusion, infectious disease is a land of contrast.

Scientists really need to get on with curing diseases don’t they

1 Like

What’s up with that!?!
(I wanted to study infectious diseases as a career but life interfered, as is its wont. Still love reading up on the stuff, though.)

I have no idea if this works or is a placebo (or if you’re allowed it if you have an autoimmune condition) but I’ve been spraying this merrily and- until today when I started to feel peaky, admittedly after a week of very little sleep and a bit of stress- I’ve managed to fend off all the colds that my family have suffered from in the last few months-

1 Like

I’d have to ask my care providers. It’s amazing what things interfere or interact with some of these meds. Probably not because I can’t have nice things. emot-argh

1 Like

The reason I know about it (sadly) because a good friend is having chemo for breast cancer and she uses it to try to keep colds at bay (they test her neurophils (sp?) and if her white blood cells are too busy fighting a cold then they won’t give her chemo.)
But I appreciate that’s different from say a condition like lupus or similar, rather than a lack of immunity brought on by a drug itself. Maybe worth checking out though in case it helps you xx

1 Like

I would also gladly send you some from the UK if it’s not available where you are xx

1 Like

Goodness, that’s awfully kind! I do need to run such things past my care providers first, though.
(Amongst other spiffy health stuff, I have rheumatoid arthritis and am on strong immune suppressants. I have to run everything, including supplements, past the pharmacist before taking. For example, black cohosh, used to alleviate menopause issues, might be interacting nicely with methotrexate to assassinate your liver. Same for any form of HRT and xeljanz re: strokes and aneurysms. It’s great. I’ve turned into my grandmother decades ahead of time. I’m just an overachiever that way.)

1 Like

Merry Christmas bugduv