melancholic/sad songs

I had a search for a similar thread, sorry if it’s been done before. Looking for something similar to these.

1 Like
7 Likes
4 Likes

I think you’re already aware of all of the ones I want to recommend for B&E (Alcest, Holy Fawn, etc.). For the first one I’m guessing you know Mastersystem too.

I’d never heard that Black Mountain song before, it’s great. Something about it reminds me a tiny bit of Kissing the Beehive by Wolf Parade.

1 Like

The way the sadness kind of builds also reminds me of Smokescreen by Amusement Parks on Fire.

1 Like

Just finished listening to This Is a Long Drive so I might as well post Ohio. Such an underrated, sad song.

1 Like

One of the most melancholic songs ever, which I somehow only heard for the first time a few years ago.

6 Likes

I probably shouldn’t have included Nothing, as all their music is quite similar to this, whereas I’m looking for songs that don’t necessarily match the rest of the band’s typical style

Based off of the Frightened Rabbit song, maybe Mt. Washington by Local Natives? I’ve never gotten into their other material, but their album Hummingbird has a lot of sad songs that seem to fit.

7 Likes

I’m an idiot, I didn’t realize that was New Order and just assumed it was Frightened Rabbit since it sounds so Mastersystem-y. I should probably finally give them a real shot.

Saddest thing I’ve ever seen

1 Like

This is a melancholic and sad song

1 Like

nae bother

1 Like

An end-of-the-world melancholy masterpiece:

3 Likes

Excellent choices. I would add:

2 Likes

This may not exactly fit with the four songs you posted, but my go-to recommendation whenever this comes up for a (slightly) lesser known one is anything off of the first Twilight Singers album.

The album opener sets the tone for the rest of it:

This one is kind of oppressively miserable:

2 Likes
5 Likes

yeah. one of the best from sparkleyhorse

1 Like