Melbourne

Imagine your name was Melanie Bourne

2 Likes

Things can happen to change that though. Study/partner visa/ employer who really wants you to stay and gets a lawyer to make it work on paper. I wouldn’t give up hope until you see what situation you find yourself in. You might even not want to stay in either over a year.

Okay cool.

> INVENTORY

1 Like

Yeah, agreed with this. It’s definitely reasonably easy in NZ, though that depends on your employer. As I mentioned in the other thread, lot of people in my team are from overseas, and got sponsorship to stay. Admittedly we’re a professional firm, but I know even small business owners who sponsor staff (my father does it for people who manage his shops, so I’d bet there are bar owners who do it for their staff). Then there’s study visas which easily turn into work visas.

No idea about Oz.

well the controversial 457 visa here got abolished

it’s replaced now with the SS (Temp Skill Shortage) -
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/482-

But they have really cracked down on the occupations covered -
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists

Yeah it appears bar managers, shop managers etc wont work. Although maybe sponsorship is different? I guess I could just ask my bosses to sponsor me and I’ll just pay money? Who knows! #freemovementbetweencommonwealth

Could you guys chuck me an average of how much I should budget for living in Melbourne? One shared room within a 30 minute cycle from the action, preferably somewhere not totally divey, but no where bougie either. Thanks!

Sorry third post, wellington is more expensive to rent in than Melbourne. Mind blown. Melbs looks like $964aud for a room? Does that sound about right?

Well for share housing, if you don’t want to live in a complete dump and not too far out, I reckon you’ll want to be budgetting for at least $200 a week (plus bills)

Just as an example - here are some places around Brunswick

1 Like

Thanks mate. Can you list a few areas I should make a note of? Alllsssoooo

Best venues, promoters, bands and labels at a grassroots level I can investigate? And if there’s any musicians in Melbourne who are looking for a band, pm me. Working on some big things. Nice to be excited!

1 Like

Ooohh and music/culture websites not just for melbourne but aus? Building a serious spreadsheet!

Sure, with where to live - it’s a lot about personal preference, but I think if you want to live sort of around the music scene AND looking at hospitality work you can’t go wrong with Brunswick, Northcote, Thornbury, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Carlton etc

All the good venues are in the suburbs I mentioned as well -
Tote
Old Bar
Howler
Northcote Social Club
Gasometer
Post Office Hotel
Pinnacle
Curtin
Some Velvet Morning
Workers Club
all of them put on gigs pretty much every night

Venues get bigger and more international, with big touring companies, from there

2 Likes

with labels/promoters etc off the top of my head -
Flightless (King Gizz, ORB, Babe Rainbow, Amyl & the Sniffers)
Milk (Courtney Barnett, Jen Cloher, Loose Tooth, EBAGC)
Poison City (Camp Cope, Harmony, Cable Ties, Batpiss)
Chapter (Beaches, Laura Jean, Totally Mild)
Our Golden Friend (RVG, Moonlover)
Barely Dressed (Gold Class, New Gods)
Aarght! (ECSR, Ausmuteants, Terry)
Bone Soup
Mistletone
Crown Ruler
tip of the iceberg really - that’s more around my taste and the like, should get you started though.

1 Like

From my ex-Brisbane perspective

Music
themusic.com.au
musicfeeds.com.au
www.beat.com.au
www.noise11.com
www.ripitup.com.au
www.collapseboard.com (run by none other than Everett True)
music.theaureview.com ^
scenestr.com.au ^
aaabackstage.com ^

Culture
concreteplayground.com
www.theurbanlist.com
www.weekendnotes.com (shit in most countries, but actually gets a lot of traction in Oz) ^
theweekendedition.com.au

Can’t think of others off the top of my head, but most sites I’d find would be through finding a site I liked and using the “similar” function on Google, e.g. this

^ I used to write for them

1 Like

Used to be a great board, similar to DiS, named mess + noise - but alas it got axed!

My list was going to be longer, but surprised how many of the sites I used to look at aren’t running anymore

So many of them got merged under ‘The Music’ and ‘Fasterlouder’

This is great guys, thankyou. Melbourne looks incredible

When you type out venues and bands and things like that - I realise it is a pretty good place to be here in Melbourne

Your wage to living costs are pretty amazing too. Seems like the best place in the world to be a musician right now. Setting myself up for disappointment, can only stay 10 months unless something happens. Maybe if I find a good band I can drag em to Wellington