Mellon Collie and the Infinite Hot Takes

I feel ya. At the time it totally felt like another epoch and a bit weird that anyone would pay them that much attention. But they did, and that kinda permeated.

Hey, we’ve had some fun, but I will absolutely not have a word said against The Wombles!

Well, they were Proto-Britpop so guess it all fit into that weird patriotic nostalgic lad music you can sing along to in a pub garden on a balmy summer night.

Strawberry Fields booming out over a pub PA in a sunny garden would be banging, tbf.

hildegardofbingenneverexisted.com

Mungo Jerry > spinto band > uncle kracker > Joe lean and the jing jang jong > yourcodenameis:milo > King prawn > smashing pumpkins

I’m not sure that works, even as a thought experiment. Without all their influences I bet a large number of our favourite musicians would have been other types of artists - painters, filmmakers, poets etc. I can’t even imagine how Kurt would have tried to create music without his love for the Beatles double-tracked vocals, the Pixies soft-loud dynamics and so on.

The Monkees were a lot more “out there” then you’d imagine, Head is one strange movie (opens with them trying to kill themselves)

This is now the KoRn thread

Yeah it was just my way of breaking out of the if you like a band you must automatically like their influences argument

The monkees show premiered Tim Buckley’ song to the siren, making them bigger contributors to good music than the Beatles ever were

I would pick head the album over any beatles album if I had to choose

Greatest metal band of the last 30 years if they’d stopped after Life Is Peachy

DESPITE MY LACK OF DECORUM
I AM STILL JUST A THREAD ON A FORUM.

THIS THREAD IS THE GREATEST
THREAD IVE EVER KNOWN

The Everlasting Thread
DiS Harm
1979 Replies
I, Mourning?

etc

Tales of a Scorched Take

Just realised that this isn’t the same thread as Video to Ava Adore. Two massive largely Smashing Pumpkins based threads on the same forum. What a time to be alive.

Where boys Fear to Thread

Thinking about changing that T next to my name to one of those invasive species of fish.

Thank you! I feel like I’ve been fighting this battle with people since I started listening to music. I hate the weight assigned to “well, this band did it first” in these discussions. First, I’m more interested in who did it better, not first. A band influenced by an earlier band can absolutely be the better band. Secondly, “it” is more often than not a convenient reduction of the newer band’s accomplishments to fit the argument. i.e. No, My Bloody Valentine didn’t do Siamese Dream first. No, Sonic Youth didn’t do Madonna first.

We’re not issuing our hot takes on computers the size of a university hall basement.