The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

You have to earn a ten minute song. It has to fucking justify the length. Does it? Stay tuned to find out.

2 Likes

I really like the guitar so far, I’ll give it that

I just can’t. I just can’t. This is beginning to sour everything I’ve ever thought about the pumpkins.

It’d be nice if someone had introduced Corgan to dance music.

Cmon u need to stick out the centerpiece of the album with me

It has made my child cry.

12 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Bush? They’re only the band the nirvanas could’ve been

3 Likes

Oh so Glass and The Ghost Children isn’t just one long song after. Thank God. Now I hear voices and a piano

Wound - this is some proper radio friendly unit shifting stuff. Slightly anaemic production and it has an element of being a counting crows song but with some distortion but it’s such a relief after the ten minute dirge I’ve just waded through. Pretty pretty good.

The Imploding Voice is ok, a bit meh

It’s basically a Beatles song. So hurrah for that.

New Order not count then? :wink:

2 unlimited or nothing.

1 Like
  1. Glass & The Ghost Children - The wild guitar at the start made me really excited that I may have discovered a forgotten Smashing Pumpkins gem. But no sadly not the case, it quickly resorts to the same dirge that ruins half of the album. Lots of distortion, hard to make out anything at all in the mix, no life or energy. Doesn’t earn it’s 10 minute run time, cuts out half way through to a barely audible tape recording and some piano which feels like nothing more than self indulgence. The end becomes the dreamy climax with drums coming in and being mixed far too loud for what’s going on around it in a way that makes the melodic landscapes going on with the synths redundant. It just sounds like I’m listening to the drummer monitors at a show at this point. What a waste of 10minutes 2/10

Crying tree - daft wee Europe ‘final countdown’ bit aside, this is a bit too slow. I can imagine people hating this song. I like when the guitar comes in. Might be winning me round… Not sure… The guitar comes in, is good and then it plods along a bit more. Could have done with a rewrite.

1. Wound - Lacks any energy at all. The mix is once again all wrong, their is a core of a strong song here that really could have been flushed out if it were mixed differently. The vocal effect on Billy’s voice doesn’t quite sit right with whats going on in the song. 4/10

Gish was only released a couple of months before Nevermind and Siamese Dream a couple of months before In Utero, how are they not contemporaries

NO, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A QUADRUPLE ALBUM. MORE IS OBVIOUSLY BETTER!

1 Like

With every light - Most interesting vocal performance so far I reckon. Quite sweet reminds me a little of one of the more whimsical numbers off Mellon collie.

I feel bad for lengthening this thread really. Relieved that I’m nearly there.

@1101010 and I have already established we’re talking about different things. Of course, they were contemporaries (though from very different places/scenes/musical backgrounds) I just meant SP’s cultural significance really took off after Kurt died.