The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

Misread that as ‘Metal Machine Music’ and was about to doff my virtual cap.

1 Like

Just putting on record how much I enjoyed the real-time analysis of Machina above. Have been relistening too as a result of this thread.

Looking forward to “Machina 2: The Bloodening” same time tomorrow…

2 Likes

Sure that is also an opinion I hold

1 Like

give me the competent lead work of Nigel Pulsford over James Iha and his e-bow any day of the week!

1 Like

Excuse me

1 Like

I woke up and saw 137 new posts and wouldn’t in a million years have bet that people were listening to Machina.

It’s ok, they’re not songwriters so it’s actually brilliant :sunglasses:

1 Like

This thread has taught me that people listening to Machina isn’t enough for me, they need to love it too.

1 Like

I don’t think I ever bought machina 2. Don’t think I ever will.

I 100% believe this is the best song he’s ever done. It’s propulsive and beautiful, but has this sense of everything going to shit that gradually builds throughout it until it’s acknowledge and released in the “destroyed” bit. The first time I heard it was after downloading one of the Arising shows in 99 and it instantly became my favorite song. I can see how the production can turn some people off (I’ve grown to love it), but the song underneath is wonderful. I started a thread once to find more songs like it but there really isn’t.

This is a compliment. August and Everything After = Recovering the Satellites > In Utero > Nevermind.

In a thread of hot takes… And so on.

4 Likes

Didn’t wilco do it before them? I’m not sure will have to Google.

I don’t get why people aren’t liking I Of the Mourning, particularly the solo which is packed with emotion. I’ve always loved the way the second half of the song builds and barrels out of control. The synth coming in at the start of the “I sit in the dark light” twist is an all-time moment.

I’ve been saying this for years! Billy Corgan gives away a final double album for free (including physical copies to major fans) - what a dick! Seven years later Radiohead lets you buy In Rainbows for nothing - revolutionaries! Never been done before!

Not even a real album is it. Just a bunch of half arsed Billy demos.

Machina 2 wasn’t finished though!

I remembered liking Machina 2 if memory serves… maybe I need to relisten

1 Like

St. Billy not charging for unfinished demos. What a hero!

7 Likes

Yeah that’s a hot take. I think every second of Porcelina counts and adds to that magical atmosphere of Mellon Collie.

1 Like

I have it, think I listened to it once.

Doesn’t it have like a three minute intro? Feels like it goes on forever.

Machina - overproduced, what an egomaniac!
Machina II - raw and unfinished, what an egomaniac!

1 Like