The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

Anyone want to take this tap-in?

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s really pretty and well-constructed, and builds a ton of atmosphere and sets up that crushing main riff. It wouldn’t nearly be the same without it.

Poor St. Billy! He just cant win.

4 Likes

Machina isn’t over-produced, it’s badly produced, it’s not the same thing.

1 Like

I’m away for a lie down and a listen to ‘Wild Light’.

1 Like

I think this thread would be the death of me. I love every song on every album I love, with the possible exception of two or three total (and even then I wouldn’t necessarily pull them off because they’re part of what makes those albums those albums).

Greatest hits style albums aren’t for me, I think “lesser” songs can make an album better and more complete than a more typically impressive one. Sequencing and flow and atmosphere are too important.

1 Like

See! Glad you’ve come around!

I think the distinction to be made here is that In Rainbows very much could’ve been released on retail but Machina 2 wasn’t a retail ready product. It was released unfinished by Billies own admission.

It’s cool he surfaced the recordings, don’t get me wrong, but the reason Radiohead get the distinction for being the first band to release a major record in that way was because it was complete.

That’s fair. I think it’s a little complicated though because it’s unfinished in the sense that the record label wouldn’t let him release the whole thing as he envisioned. The actual LP portion of Machina II strikes me as being a complete record, and in typical Pumpkins form, the EP / B-Side portions contained incredible and fully developed material.

I also think if it were 100% finished in the standard sense, he wouldn’t have gotten credit for it and instead the narrative would have been, “Crazy Billy Corgan has to give away his new album because his techno album failed.”

I think I need to move to the UK so I can defend Machina in real time.

I was about to join in late and embark on a track by track defense, but maybe I should just write, “No, it’s wonderful!” for the sake of brevity.

You’re allowed to like it, I went back to give it a chance solely based on your guys enthusiasm but I just cannot stand the way it sounds. A lot of the time I said something along the lines of ‘this song could be a winner but it sounds bad’

The production just isn’t for me

Oh yeah that’s totally fine, I appreciate that you gave it a chance! It was really a nice surprise this morning seeing all of the new posts and having them be “let’s listen to Machina” related instead of “oh no, what did he do” related.

I think I’m less sensitive to production than most people and have always loved how Machina sounded. The only time when production gets in the way for me is if it’s very thin or overly 80s sounding.

About time this bloody thread stopped isn’t it?

1 Like

full credit for giving away an unreleasable album. fair play to the lad!

3 Likes

Never

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was unreleasable too.

I’m going to make sure there’s a cake version of this at my funeral.

3 Likes

I don’t think it was but I can’t say for sure because that is absolutely something I would say and have plans to do.

4 Likes

:joy:

“Why the hell do we have to do this”
“It’s what he would have wanted”

6 Likes

Faintly amused by the thought of a funeral opening with “The Everlasting Gaze”, Billy screeching “You know I’m not dead!”, dry ice everywhere

10 Likes