I mean actual melons here, particularly this type:
Basically a number of people have been killed of made seriously ill on account of eating a contaminated batch of these bad boys. My mate works for the New South Wales public health service and confirmed the farm hadn’t apparently done anything too wrong.
She’s managed to make melons sound like a terrifying food in fact, “The inside is basically sugar and water which is just the perfect home for bacteria…you’re basically eating a perfect bacteria home and it’s grown in dirt,” oh shit.
The issue is that the bacteria get on the outside and in this case they weren’t properly washed off. This melon has a rough surface which makes things much worse because there are lots of pits for it to hide in. When you slice through the melon you just put the bacteria into the melon.
Her advice is always to eat melons (and cucumbers, etc) as quickly as possible after you’ve cut into them.