Mental games that you play to keep yourself occupied/entertained

I frequently interview myself (I’ve posted this elsewhere), usually after some imaginary creative project has taken off

Also, I like to guess the number or sequence of things I come across, such as how many steps a certain distance away is, and if I get it right I’ll have good luck for the day.

3 Likes

Think up D&D adventures/campaign settings that I’ll never write down.

1 Like

I used to spend long periods designing video games in my mind. Most were rubbish…but one, which invented a sport using timed force fields to “catch” and “throw” a ball, I reckon could’ve been successful.

3 Likes

This one’s a bit :cry: so I didn’t put in the OP…but when I’m feeling rubbish, I find it hard not to look at most items in my possession and try to recall when I first saw said item. Then I ask myself would I transport back to that position and the answer is almost always yes.

1 Like

Pretend I’m in a film, and yeah, always interviewing myself.

2 Likes

Oh and I just count things like bricks in a section of wall and see how high I can count before the bus moves on. Enthralling stuff.

1 Like

I imagine myself into my favourite fantasy/sci-fi series. I guess it’s like Marty Sue/author-insertion fan fic but without writing it down.

Yup, I do this. Usually in the guise of being interviewed about my time in Ukraine and Belarus on FM18. Haven’t quite gotten to the stage of dressing up in a suit, but I do ignore questions from Sky and The Sun.

1 Like

Also count the number of overhead wire gantries between signals whilst on the train.

It’s usually 20 on the West Coast Mainline.

1 Like

The number of people who do the interview thing is making me feel a lot less sad about doing it myself.

2 Likes

ITT:

Image result for jimmy rabbitte the commitments

1 Like

Are you explaining to the characters where they’re going wrong?

Can you not fudge it by adjusting your step length, though?

I’ve been doing this for ages before I go to sleep. I think I will actually try make this game I’ve been devising eventually, it’s kind of a Monkey’s Island style 2D mystery with a Majora’s Mask time mechanic.

1 Like

I find the interview thing utterly baffling. If it weren’t for the fact you’re all lovely and the opposite of narcissists I’d put it down to that.

What on earth do the interviewers ask you about? What you had for breakfast?

About the novel/film/album I’ve just released and how critically beloved I am and yet startling modest I’m being about it all. I can go impressively deep on the process I don’t have for the work I haven’t done.

I’m gonna stop talking about this now before I make myself want to march into the sea.

4 Likes

Ah okay, makes more sense.

I like to endlessly ruminate on past mistakes

3 Likes

yeah me too - I need to start counting paving slabs or something instead

1 Like

Would definitely play. Please also make it creepy in that uniquely Japanese way.

1 Like