Mental load

Do you not have the compostable ones in the low country?

1 Like

Itā€™s not compostable even though it says it is.

Iā€™ve always done maybe 80% of the housework (100% when I was married), and I think it comes from me not wanting to be like my dad who did fuck all, and not ever wanting my other half to feel like my mum did.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I loved my dad, but when it came to house stuff he drove me up the wall with that, as you say, probably generational attitude.

As @Slicky said it largely stemmed from when my mum was at home with us as kids and he was at work, but when he retired and she was working she still did 100%. Lazy bollocks.

I enjoy cooking and find cleaning oddly satisfying though, so I donā€™t really mind.

1 Like

Live alone so all of it. Thing is, Iā€™m so stuck in my ways now that watching someone else cooking in my kitchen or whatever drives me insane. Things need to be done my way, and I canā€™t stand it when theyā€™re done differently. Itā€™s completely irrational but it makes me angry and anxious watching someone do something in my kitchen :smiley: the fire alarm went off when I was cooking with someone else once and I couldnā€™t cope so just stormed out of the flat for a bit- feel terrible about that cause it was such an overreaction. So if I do ever end up living with a partner, Iā€™ll probs do most of it still anyway to save arguments.
Find an evening listening to music and having a clean quite therapeutic anyway.

My friend is about to move in with her long term partner, and sheā€™s worried about this. Was chatting the other day and things like him never deciding what to have for dinner, just saying ā€œI dunnoā€ or ā€œI donā€™t mindā€, which would drive me round the bend as well.

1 Like

M and I are equally lackadaisical when it comes to keeping things tidy and clean. To the extent that both our mums had a word with us before we first moved in with each other warning that the other party would get fed up with our mess :smiley:

Iā€™m agog that putting the bins out is an apportionable chore! Do people have really long up hill driveways or soemthing?

if you are the only one that cares if a thing gets done or not, is it really fair to complain that the other people arenā€™t thinking about them?

1 Like

give him a list of things to do weekly for the next 52 weeks. then youā€™ve asked.

1 Like

90% of physical tasks (cleaning, cooking, taking bins out etc), 10% of administrative tasks (booking appointments, paying bills etc).

Sometimes I begrudge the amount of menial labour I do (yesterday Mrs HYG baked a cake with our toddler then I had to clean up after them which didnā€™t put me in a good mood) but I wouldnā€™t swap it for having to navigate our direct debits, so it works for us.

cut a loo roll tube and stick that at the bottom, empty regular. no need for a bag

remember kids, household labourā€™s still labour

5 Likes

Yes it is.

1 Like

mould spores from lack of hygiene are literally harmful to health. it affects the household.

1 Like

100%.

Actually this is something I harbour quite a lot of resentment over. Sheā€™s a ridiculously messy cook. Like, work surface will be a mess, the hob is a state, thereā€™s vegetable peelings on the floor, and usually splashes up the cabinets. Itā€™sā€¦ incredible. But fine, everyone cooks differently.

But then itā€™s my job to clean up the shitshow! And then when I do the cooking? Itā€™s still my job to clean up. Except Iā€™m a delight to clean up after because I clean as I go and the kitchen ends up cleaner after Iā€™ve finished cooking than it was before I started.

thereā€™d be no penicillin with that attitude!

3 Likes

guess it depends on what it is. something like making a bed doesnā€™t actually have to happen. if it annoys you that itā€™s always you that has to think about doing it then just stop doing it.

idk

I live alone. When I lived with my landlady I left her to do everything apart from the occasional bin, bathroom, kitchen clean.

Iā€™m not putting a cut up loo roll in my powder blue Joseph Joseph food caddy with graphite odour filter, obviously.

oh hang on i thought you were talking about housemates.

if weā€™re talking about partners, i like to do things for my partner that make her brain happy. she likes a made bed, iā€™m not fussed. i make it because iā€™m happy to do things i donā€™t need to to put a smile on someone elseā€™s face. reckon itā€™s a bit grim not to make 30 seconds of effort

5 Likes

Polls for people who live with other adults (when I say fair share I donā€™t necessarily mean 50/50 as there may be other factors like disability or working hours that may mean itā€™s fair for you to do more or less)

Poll for women:

• I do more than my fair share of housework
  • I do less than my fair share of housework
  • Itā€™s split equally

0 voters

Poll for men:

• I do less than my fair share of housework
  • Itā€™s split equally

0 voters

Poll for NB people: