Mercury Music Prize 2019

Idles are great, so hopefully them. No way The 1975 will win

5 Likes

Good list. Thought Fat Whites or Soak would have made it.

Dave for the win hopefully

1 Like

I put a fiver on fontaines and anna calvi so happy they both made it, Cate Le Bon is a nice surprise too. The Comet is Coming is a pretty big omission.

2 Likes

Between Idles and Slowthai I reckon

All seems geared up for Idles to win I think, after the reception their album got, Glastonbury set etc…

Kind of surprised at the Black Midi inclusion to be honest. It’s good but seems like they’ve been around for a matter of months - if I were working with them I’d be worried about them ending up destroyed by hype way too early.

Idles or Dave will win, probably.

3 Likes

Could say the same for Dave.

1 Like

anyone ever had a flutter?

Nice to see Cate get a nod.

Seems to be a lot of hype & critical acclaim for Fontaines so I’d have thought they’d be one of the favourites but maybe that’s my music bubble.

No The Twilight Sad?
Lists a fucking joke.

8 Likes

Yawn.

1 Like

Slowthai I reckon, can’t see them giving it to a popular guitar based band writing Wolf Alice winning last year.

Obvs would love it if Black Midi won because I’m an absolute mark for that band but it might do em more harm than good seeing as they are Brit School graduates, reckon they’d get a lot of backlash if they won.

It’s not a bad list really

Actually think it’s a much stronger list than usual. Despite Idles

1 Like

I was all ready to post a picture of me eating my hat as well. Not surprised they didn’t get on.

I was thinking they don’t need a Mercury to validate how good they are but the exposure would certainly do them a lot of good.

1 Like

Scottish acts are not allowed to be nominated for Mercury.

2 Likes

How do they keep missing the opportunity with actual wide appeal jazz?

Less shit list than the last few years though overall

SAY Award >>>>> Mercurys
And the prize money is the same
And you don’t have to pay a £288 entry fee.

1 Like

I was gonna say Primal Scream but how long ago was that now?