Mercury Music Prize 2022

Tuesday 26th July is the day the 12 shortlisted albums by a British or Irish artist are announced. Who do we think will be nominated?

The albums must have been released between 17th July 2021 - 15th July 2022

Little Simz, I hope

10 Likes

Stick the farm on Self Esteem imo.

11 Likes

Wet Leg since they’re a) on Domino who always get nominations and b) fucking everywhere.

9 Likes

The Smile will probably be nominated too despite not existing.

3 Likes

Annie Lennox

My serious choice and hope would be NilĂĽfer Yanya.

3 Likes

Decided that I don’t really want Wet Leg or Self Esteem to win, even though both albums are decent.

Little Simz definitely deserves it, even if it’s a fairly obvious pick. Hope it’s something more obscure (and ideally not London based) if not.

Little Simz feels like it was ages ago doesn’t it. BC,NR is my favourite UK record to come out in that timeframe, also would be funny for them to come on and play a brand new song seeing as Isaac left.

People outside of London make music?

:wink:

1 Like

I hope Cate Le Bon is nominated. She probably won’t be.

6 Likes

Binker and Moses will probably get a nomination too, maybe Space Afrika as well.

NOMINATE CMAT YOU COWARDS

This post paid for by PROF$.

9 Likes

Some that haven’t been mentioned but could be in with a shout…

Yard Act
Let’s eat grandma
Charli XCX
Everything Everything
Just Mustard
Gwenno
Metronomy
HAAi

1 Like

Wu-Lu and Obongjayar might get nominated too.

Would be good if the bias against heavy guitar music was removed but doubting that.

1 Like

Yeah was gonna say Gwenno too actually, good shout.

3 Likes

Good record, that.

Not sure if the Emma Jean Thackeray album is within the time period (it came out last July). It would be a good nominee if it is.

I do think it could have been better, production sounds flat but the songs themselves are fucking belters.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

See that’s the good thing about not really caring about production.

1 Like

I think she’s in a really good shout of being nominated!

1 Like