Mercury Music Prize 2022

probs shoulda put a bet on

Yeah, I’d be amazed if Self Esteem didn’t win. I put a tenner on Nova Twins, who were 9/1 now 18/1.

be very happy if Simz won, overdue and deserved IMO.

1 Like

I’ve a tenner at 5/1, so hoping she gets it.

1 Like

This better not be cancelled

4 Likes

So who’s going to win?

• Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure
  • Little Simz - Sometimes I Might be Introvert
  • Wet Leg
  • Gwenno - Tresor
  • Yard Act - The Overload
  • Nova Twins - Supernova
  • Kojey Radical - Reason To Smile
  • Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
  • Jessie Buckley & Bernard Butler - For All Our Days That Tear The Heart
  • Harry Styles - Harry’s House
  • Joy Crookes - Skin
  • Fergus McCreadie - Forest Floor

0 voters

Queen cancelling the Qween

1 Like

It happened on the same day as 9/11 as well I seem to recall. I remember Elbow being interviewed as they arrived and saying something like “Well the prize doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things does it??”

PJ Harvey was in Washington DC

Slightly feels like Self Esteem’s almost timed the run too well, like it would be too obvious a choice now.

She’ll be fine without it, hope it goes elsewhere. Gwenno, or Yard Act to wind everyone up, or Simz cos it’s the best album on the list by miles.

2 Likes

Off

Postponed til later date. Guests were there, told, and asked to leave by 7.30pm.

Recall 9/11 fell on the same day as the Mercurys too.
Mercury prize postponed owing to death of Queen Elizabeth II | Mercury prize | The Guardian

Think I remember reading it’s usually 10 days of national mourning so might not happen for a while

13 Likes

Don’t mind people feeling upset etc if they want, calling shit off like this is just an absolute fucking nonsense though. Hate it.

Assuming the main benefit of winning this is a bounce in attention, it’s probably better for whoever wins that it isn’t buried in the next couple of weeks of news coverage.

11 Likes

Yeah, imo it makes sense to delay it even if just for the lack of coverage it would get otherwise

Exactly. The media coverage is the reward. For all the nominees.

3 Likes

they want to wait until the media frenzy dies down, so they’ll be holding this ceremony sometime in spring 2023 then?

1 Like

ABSOLUTE FUCKING SHAMBLES TONIGHT

Seems like they worked something out, good on 'em all.

21 Likes