Mercury Prize 2016

Only a week to go and it seems that Bowie is the front runner and then some. Just had this from William Hill

William Hill can report that an astonishing 78% of all the money placed on this year’s Mercury Music Prize has been for David Bowie – in what looks like the most one-sided competition in the prizes long history. His nearest challenger is Anohni who is offered at 6/1 with Radiohead 8/1. Of the outsiders by far the most popular has been Michael Kiwanuka who is 10/1.

“We have to accept that David Bowie is going to be very hard to beat and we fully expect to lose on this year’s prize,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.

Mercury Music Prize Winner: Evens David Bowie, 6/1 Anohni, 8/1 Radiohead, 8/1 Skepta, 10/1 Michael Kiwanuka, 14/1 Laura Mvula, 16/1 Bat For Lashes, 16/1 Kano, 16/1 The 1975, 20/1 Savages, 25/1 The Comet is Coming, 33/1 Jamie Woon

I’d say Skepta is worth a bet.

I can’t see how Bowie doesn’t win, but having a strong favourite isn’t a good thing for the prize.

I’d love to see The Comet Is Coming to win. I might put a quid on Savages though.

1 Like

I’ve actually heard of 10 of those! :+1:

1 Like

Something I pointed out when the nominations were announced was that the entire shortlist this year is 100% English. Not sure if that means anything, but given that most of my favourite releases of the past 18 months have been from Scottish and Welsh artists, I’m pleased to see some of them on the Neptune shortlist.

1 Like

Didn’t know the Mercury Prize had become a memorial. Bit of a joke if Bowie wins it, though the Mercury is meaningless now anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve put money down on Skepta and Kano. Everyone knows Blackstar is great and Bowie doesn’t need any more accolades, especially posthumously. The obvious choice doesn’t win that often and I think choosing a grime album would be a great way to show that the Mercury Prize can still be relevant.

The Latest Odds from Betfair

Mercury Prize Winner 2016

David Bowie – Black Star 1/2

Skepta – Konnichiwa 8/1

Anohni – Hopelessness 8/1

Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate 10/1

Kano – Made In The Manor 12/1

Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool 14/1

The 1975 – I Like It When You Sleep… 20/1

Bat For Lashes – The Bride 25/1

Savages – Adore Life 25/1

Laura Mvula - The Dreaming Room 33/1

Jamie Woon – Making Time 33/1

The Comet Is Coming – Channel The Spirits 33/1

Damn, knew I should have had money on Skepta

YESSSSSS 60 quid up. Who else could it have been?

Bowie, 1975, Kiwanuka, Mvula, Radiohead.

Only heard three of those. Out of those it has to be Bowie.

well at least it wasn’t The 1975

1 Like

Oops really should’ve checked when this was first posted. Well done Skepta

1 Like