Mercury Prize 2017

was it just them? pricks. i remembered it being a bigger thing. it was a while ago, though!

Ha some people did complain I think, I just remember them seemingly being the most grumpy as they lost. Also, I think MIA walked out, though maybe she was just annoyed over losing.

yikes. that’s pretty sad. hard to imagine that anybody (especially the fucking kaiser chiefs) could possibly feel hard done by over losing to a record that good.

That 2017 list is dire. I want Sampha to win, but likely Kate Tempest will win.

Don’t understand why Ben Clementine’s record doesn’t get much love round these parts? thought it was great and a very worthy winner in 2015

Yeah, it’s great

I think it’s a different argument though, I Am A Bird was all written by a UK born artist. Most albums are recorded in America aren’t they?

Big Moon for the win.

Fair play to the Big Moon for getting nominated but the rest of the list is very predictable and/or a snoozefest.

ah, yeah, i see your point.

in any case, the sheeran album shouldn’t have been nominated on account of it being wank!

oh, wait, no. i forgot that he can use a loop pedal, which makes him a genius.

as you were.

It’ll shock no one for me to say this a poor list…but it’s all kind of shit. I expected more albums from my above wishlist than Sampha…and I think even that is overrated. Ed Sheeran? Kate Tempest? Blossoms? Alt-j? The XX? Jesus Christ

Love that Sampha album. Would be very happy for him to win

It’s no Polaris Prize shortlist:

A Tribe Called Red – We Are The Halluci Nation
Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
Gord Downie – Secret Path
Feist – Pleasure
Lisa Leblanc – Why You Wanna Leave, Runaway Queen?
Lido Pimienta – La Papessa
Tanya Tagaq – Retribution
Leif Vollebekk – Twin Solitude
Weaves – Weaves

So much ^this. She’s spellbinding live.

Out of interest has anybody heard the Dinosaur album? When all else is lost you can hope the jazz entry is decent.

Agreed. I saw her do Brand New Ancients live, had me on the edge of my seat.

I don’t think her music is great though, although this album SO much better than the last. Mostly it’s to do with flow on the production, she doesn’t quite catch the beat properly.

She shouldn’t win it. Stormzy is the best out of that bunch.

Yaaaas it is pretty good. Rest of the list is complete turds so it should win. Probably won’t though.

Personally really enjoy her flow, but each to their own, natch. It’s the production itself that occasionally grates. Dan Carey seems to oscillate wildly from banger to clanger. Something like the upbeat production on Ketamine For Breakfast perfectly dances around her delivery. Then Whoops is nauseatingly jarring and works entirely against KT.

I absolutely hated it personally.

So when’s the Neptune shortlist getting started?