So, you’re on a two lane carriageway and there’s a sign at the side of the road saying that the left-hand lane will end in 800 yards. The left hand lane ends because of roadworks and only one lane (the right-hand lane) then leads onto the roundabout immediately beyond the works.The left-hand lane is entirely empty because everyone has decided that it’s important to get into the right-hand lane immediately.
Important point, the left-hand lane is a proper lane. It’s not the hard shoulder. There are no other signs instructing you.
- Make sure you immediately join the long queue in the right-hand lane as soon as you see the sign, regardless of the fact that you’re then leaving 800yds of left-hand lane empty
- Use the left-hand lane for a little while but ensure that you merge with the right-hand lane within a hundred yards or so of seeing the sign
- Use the left-hand lane for as long as your nerve holds perhaps half the length of the empty lane before slowing, indicating and then attempting to merge with the waiting traffic.
- Use the left-hand lane until it ends and then patiently wait to merge into the right-hand lane
If you are one of the people who gets into the right-hand lane immediately do you so because:
- It’s the correct way to behave. Using the left-hand lane beyond the sign is unethical, it amounts to queue-jumping
- It’s perceived as the correct way to behave and even though I’m not sure it’s queue-jumping I know that’s how other’s think and I’d rather not have the hassle
- I’m not sure really, I think I just follow the herd
If you use the left-hand lane for more than a hundred yards or so or until it ends do you do so thinking
- This is the correct way of doing things, it’s best to use both lanes because the line is wider rather than longer and surely helps congestion further back
- I’m not sure which way is correct but it’s better for me this way
- I know I’m in the wrong, I jump queues, so sue me
And finally, if you’re a right-hand queuer what’s your reaction to drivers passing you in the left-hand lane as you sit patiently
- Good luck to them, I wish I was doing that
- Who the hell do they think they are? Is this how they behave in supermarket queues
- I’m going to try and cover both lanes to stop these bastards doing it