Merging when there are two lanes and one stops (Driving)

Will be if I’m going to be turning soon.

You’re front of the queue at the traffic lights and just as they turn green a pedestrian starts to run across the road, then hesitates, but you don’t pull away and let him cross first. The man slows his run across the road to a leisurely walk. You beep him. He unloads a tirade of swearing and abuse at you

• You were right to beep. Fuck that entitled toilet.
  • You’re an arsehole Nick, can’t you have waited just a little bit longer.
  • You should have ran him over

0 voters

Don’t come at me with logic, pal.

ok so for context here’s a junction that I used to run all the time. Lights are automatic and you can see straight up the roads where traffic comes from. Pull up at the wrong time and you’re waiting ages for them to change, and in the middle of the night there isn’t any traffic.

Are you really saying that if no one was around, you’d wait patiently, and wouldn’t just drive through?

Yes

11 Likes

Yep.

If nothing else, I’m not risking then having put a camera on them and getting points on my license because I couldn’t be arsed sitting at a red light for forty seconds.

there’s clearly no camera - jeez

My friends Mum got a ticket for going through a traffic light at 5mph (it showed the sped in the photo) She had been waiting so long she thought it had broken, they still didn’t rescind the ticket

Has anyone done a get out?

Alright Albert Einstein.

1 Like

Literally have empirical evidence for a yes here. I did exactly this at a similar junction on the Camberwell New Road (on my bike). Some cunt came steaming past me (on his bike). I called him a cunt. Half a kilometre down the road I pulled up at the Oval lights and the same bloke asked me if I had a problem. I told him what the problem was. A healthy debate ensued, which I ended with “Just obey the fucking rules. It’s not that fucking hard”. And then we carried on our merry way!

Yeah not because I’m incredibly noble or anything, it’s just hardwired in me not to run a red light consciously. I mean fill your boots but I’m not risking 3 points for that shite.

yeah I get that, I guess I do probably an unusual amount of very late/very early driving and there’s nothing more sole destroying that stopping for reds for no reason - i’ll roll through them if it’s safe to do so and no one is watching.

There’s not a court in this land that would have convicted you.

2 Likes

1 Like

We all have our own hyperbolic blindspots when driving, I suppose.

Next time. He was so angry at me and then I was angry at HIM and it was a whole thing. Gotta love driving

haha yeah that was a bit OOT (and a fish typo thrown in as well for good measure)

You are legitimately aggrieved with another driver, as they have committed some highway cardinal sin. You’re within their eyeline for a second or two. What gesture do you go for?

• The ol’ wanker wrist
  • Flick them the Vs
  • Clearly mouthing an insult
  • Over-exaggerated arm-up, like a striker who’s gone down and is searching for a penalty
  • Road rage isn’t funny, Billy. Don’t be childish.

0 voters

I really want to ask a question to the car drivers in here about a cycling thing that TWO drivers beeped me about recently.

• Go ahead and ask! We’re all road users here.
  • Fuck off cycling prick

0 voters