MGMT (stupid minimum 5 character title limit)

Hmm, been waiting for that for four years. Not overly impressed.

2 Likes

I like this. Nice stuff

1 Like

Sounds like Oasis

I said baby we’re being covered by mgmt

1 Like

Its really nice - i really enjoyed their last akbum thought it was their vlbest to date and yes this does have a bit of an oasis ballad tinge to it but in a way thats really appealing (also helps the songs not mixed like shit)

Bubblegum Dog is fantastic

Pretty sure I read an interview recently where they said this themselves :grinning:

Really liking this record. It is really lush and warm. Highly recommended stuff. I reckon it’s going to be quite high up on my AOTY list.

2 Likes

Production wise it’s superb. Had it on headphones and it sounds lush. I think Time to Pretend really didn’t help them in the long run as many will probably pass on this album.

yeah, this is really lovely
always enjoy their output tbh

2 Likes

I’d urge anyone with an interest in the softer side of Flaming Lips or Sparklehorse to give this a spin. Lyrically and melodically it might be their best album. Fascinating band really. Luck out and create several ever green bangers on your first release, then chase the rabbit down ever weirder holes for a decade. This album has the quality of their last, but without the kooky stuff (which put me off) like “She Works Out Too Much” and “TSLAMP”.

1 Like

Great album! Has a really classic feel but still sounds like them. Enjoying the lyrics quite a lot too

1 Like

Apparently Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel were written as jokes to show how easily they could write big silly bangers. Thing is those big silly bangers soundtracked some significant highlights of my 20s and then going back to what they wanted to do felt like a let down. Really need to go back to the second album and give them another go with open eyes.

1 Like

Picked the second album up on a whim at a record fair a few weeks back. Some really great stuff on there. I’d be lying if I said I felt this way back when it was released, but give me a Flash Delirium over an Electric Feel any day of the week.

1 Like

Think it’s a genuine masterpiece. Loved it at the time and it has only grown on me since. Loved the first record too, but this is next level. Have really liked bits from all of their other records too - think they are an awesome band - but this is their absolute peak imo

3 Likes

Siberian Breaks is top 5. I remember HATING that album when it came out. I was wrong.

1 Like

Think ‘jokes’ might be overstating it a bit. Think it was more that they were some of the first songs that they wrote but they then decided to go in a different direction. It’s why the first album is a bit of a mish mash where as the second (and most of what came after) is more cohesive

think Loss of Life is gonna be near the top of my end of year list. Really nice to stick on in the background but also lots of detail to tune into. Have it on most days and not bored of it yet. Possibly their best album? Need to revisit the others to check